Alkali Wildlife management area

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Alkali Wildlife management area

Postby deadeyedave » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Has anyone ever hunted out in Alkali wildlife managment area west of Yerington and north of Smith valley? I see it on NDOW website and see it on maps. Was wondering if anyone has ever hunted it and what it was like. Always looking for new areas.
deadeyedave
hunter

Re: Alkali Wildlife management area

Postby fishonzac » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:50 pm

I have heard it called Artisia and it was dried up until the last series of storms! It can be really good hunting but it's tough access and the mud/Muck out there will eat things alive!
fishonzac
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:38 am

There are actually some club houses out there and one of my buddies dad goes down there.

I don't know if there is "Open areas" to hunt or if it is private in a lot of the areas. You might call up the F&G to check before you drive all the way down there.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:36 pm

I used to hunt it a lot, but got tired of the mud (as I got older I got smarter). It is knee deep in the shallow spots. It used to take a week to get gun and boots clean. Picked up some big ducks late in the season as it was the last water to freeze. If you have a small shallow drafting boat you can get away from the road and pickup birds on windy days.

Artisia is a little lake above Topaz Lake. I think it is on private property, but don't know for a fact.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby yang » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:23 pm

i went there on oct 18th. the lake was very dry and i saw a truck drove on the bottom of lake.
yang
Newb

Postby pskaggs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:23 pm

I live in Smith Valley. I have crossed Artesia lake in a motorboat and in a truck. It's dry and has been for years. It's another example of NDOW's famous water management. NDOW bought the land the lake is on (except for a private duck club on the south end) for a state wildlife management area. But they didn't buy any water rights for it. Up until the late '80s, the lake was filled with irrigation runoff from Smith Valley's hay fields. In the '90s Hay growers began using sprinkler systems instead of flood irrigation, which is a more efficient use of their water and results in no runoff. The lake now only has any water if there are two wet winters in a row, and we know how often that happens in Nevada. Even when there is water, it's a couple inches of water over a foot of alakali mud, and it grows no water plants for duck / goose food. There was once really good duck & goose hunting around the edges of the lake, and it was a significant stopover for migrating birds including nongame birds. It's sad...
"If you fail to teach discipline to your kids or dogs, you condemn them to a lifetime of being disliked by others." Marty Skaggs
pskaggs
hunter

Postby deadeyedave » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Well thank you all for the feed back. That is why i thought I would ask you guys first before wasting a perfectly good hunting day on NOTHING SPECIAL.

WEll I am finally getting out this weekend to try to shoot some waterfowl. I have been concentrating on my 12 year old daughters deer tag. But she has decided that she can't shoot a deer. She has no problem shoot a duck. So bring it on. Hope to see you guys out there.

Again... Thanks
deadeyedave
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting