Favorite Calls to use?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Favorite Calls to use?

Postby MnNorseman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Hey hey,

So it's that time again for me to buy another call.. When I moved out here it turns out most of my calls didn't make the trip for some ridiculous reason!? anyway, I've blown on some Zink, Echo's, Gardner and RNT... anyway, I've hunted with so many over the years I haven't really bought any newer ones for quite some time. I've been so used to calls freezing up in the Minnesota hunting season that I've held onto the few that really wouldn't lock up as bad. So now I'm down to one duck call and would like a nice newer one and would love some feedback to what works with you guys out here... what's some of your favorite's for this wide open spaced hunting?!

Thanks,

Mikey
MnNorseman
hunter

Re: Favorite Calls to use?

Postby d_money » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:41 pm

I got a bg reactor and a echo timber. I use the bg mostly but sometimes the soft quacks of the timber are needed to get them in. I like the bg it has good volume for open spaces and u can mellow it down.
d_money
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 am

I got off the phone with the Gardner crew... I had an acrylic double nasty from a few years back and lost the tone channel somewhere in North Dakota. Anyway he's going to send me that so that fixes one of the problems.. I've never had better customer service at any other call company than with Buck... He and his wife have both called me resolving issues so I'd like to go with them. Plus out here in NV where it doesn't get as cold (More than likely) than MN I'm not too worried about calls locking up.

Thanks for the info!
MnNorseman
hunter

Favorite Calls to use?

Postby duckmanNV » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:13 pm

I have a Watkins Hybrid swamp bore and I absolutely live it. I would highly recommend checking Watkins duck calls out. Great prices and great service.
duckmanNV
hunter

Postby layouthunter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Does anyone use any of the local made calls from Nevada? I understand we have a call maker in Minden/Gardernville, Yerington and the Fowl Life guys. I am wondering how these calls work here in the open marsh, shortgrass and fields? Both duck and goose calls. I too am in need of a new call and I would not like to have to buy too many $125+ calls.
layouthunter
hunter

Postby Yard Goose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:32 pm

The calls you are looking for are Precision Calls. I wasn't going to join this thread but those are the only calls I use and I have hunted all the big names. These guys have the best service and if you have questions, thoughts or concerns the main number is to the owner!
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby blackducks1982 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:57 pm

boo on precision calls! Sounds ok but the design is kind of a flaw. I unscrewed the call and there was a small piece of mud on it and it cracked. I hate the calls that unscrew! Pressure fit is better. just my 2cents.
blackducks1982
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:07 pm

MnNorseman wrote:I got off the phone with the Gardner crew... I had an acrylic double nasty from a few years back and lost the tone channel somewhere in North Dakota. Anyway he's going to send me that so that fixes one of the problems.. I've never had better customer service at any other call company than with Buck... He and his wife have both called me resolving issues so I'd like to go with them. Plus out here in NV where it doesn't get as cold (More than likely) than MN I'm not too worried about calls locking up.

Thanks for the info!

Ditto on Gardner customer service and I have one that needs to be tuned and will send it in. However the duck call I like the best is JJ Lares Timber call. It's just raspy enough and very easy to call.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby Mike Callian » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:14 pm

On my lanyard - Saunders Traffic, G.P. and his 2.5 duck call. Go check out his new site
Mike Callian
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting