rabbit hunting

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

rabbit hunting

Postby mallardmaven » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Where can I shoot rabbits for stew? I'm in Carson city :hi:
mallardmaven
hunter

Re: rabbit hunting

Postby fishonzac » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Really anywhere but the Gardnerville sand pits are dumped full of them but I would wait till the first hard freeze or snow here on the floor. Sure they are fine now either way if you are looking to get after it.
fishonzac
hunter

Postby NVduck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 am

depends on if you want to eat jackrabbit. I know some good cottontail spots out near dayton.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 am

Most hunters wait for a good freeze before going after rabbit meat................

It helps kill any "Ring worm" type disease under their skin on the surface of the meat but you can take a chance
that you shoot a "Clean" rabbit for the pot. Never know when one will be "Buggy".

You got to be kidding...........someone eats jack rabbit? How do you cook them,where the meat is tender..........
or do you just smoke the ears for jerky ??
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Oh man jack rabbit heck maybe we should start eating coots too! The spot I mentioned has cottons with a few jacks which I didn't think you were talking about! Like I and Sage mentioned you may want to wait.
fishonzac
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Well for those of you that don't know. I eat coots and jacks. It's all in the way you cook them. If you watch coots eating they eat right along side of the "good ducks". Eating the same thing. The same with cottontails and jack rabbits. I take the breast from coots and grind them for spaghetti and sausage. The same with older jacks. The young ones I put in the crook pot and cook them down. Take the meat and add in any sauces you like and put over rice. YUM! When you hunt with me you never know what your getting for snacks.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby mallardmaven » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Ive only eaten cottontail so I'm going with that especially because I want it for stew....thanks for the info,btw they sell frozen rabbit at butler meat for $32 per rabbit!
mallardmaven
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Awesome boys at least someone is putting a dent in the coot population! That's like saying horses and cows are the same they eat right along side each other! Hey to each is own I will stack up with a little extra work for some bigger birds!
Another point abalone on market are $80 bucks a pound but you can dive for them for free!
There is no market value/demand/competition for rabbit so Butker can put whatever they want
fishonzac
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Even better I will sell you rabbits for $15 a piece fresh and cleaned not frozen!!! Place your orders
fishonzac
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Coots: step on their feet and pull their wings...................fast way to clean them, to breast them out.........
and yes the meat makes a great spagetti sauce, never tried it for anything else,though.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:18 pm

I do the extra work for the bigger ducks too! I usually get more than my share each season. My grandfather always said you can always find away to cook anything and make it edible. I had cancer in 1977 and decided I would eat differently, if it would help me stay alive. My wife and I spend about a $150 a month in the store and the rest I put on the table. If any of you want to know how to cook or prepare different game let my know. I've tried it all.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby fishonzac » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 am

That is awesome on the grocery situation and I wasn't sure if you guys were serious about the coots. I usually use them as live deeks if they are around. Maybe I have been over looking the situation. I still don't know about the jacks you would have to crock pot them for days on end
fishonzac
hunter

Postby NVduck » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 am

cows and horses do eat along side of each other but they process the food differently in the bodies. However, horse isnt bad eating. Ive had coot done where it wasnt too bad but ive never done it. As for jacks if you crockpot um they are fine to eat.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:23 pm

NVDuck point taken I was just thinking of a quick example not a scientific reasoning! Never heard of people eating them. Wonder why more people don't...........Why shoot jacks if you can shoot cottons around here? Either way who cares :beer:
fishonzac
hunter

Postby NVduck » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:42 pm

agreed the last few years i have seen more cottontails then ever before.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby corky569 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:17 am

I also eat jacks. They're great, I like to simmer them for about 3 or 4 hours in seasoned water. I then shred the meat off the bones, save the stock to make enchilada sauce, and make enchiladas. Amazing, better than any shredded beef. They would make excellent tamales too. I also have ground the meat and made a bolagnese sauce, it really is great flavored meat. I used this recipe with ground hare.(jackrabbit). I took it to work and shared it with 3 ladies who "don't eat game". They loved it, and asked for seconds.

http://honest-food.net/2012/04/25/wild- ... ce-recipe/
Last edited by corky569 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
corky569
hunter

Postby corky569 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:31 am

Try this article too, he says it way better than me.

http://honest-food.net/2010/02/11/hare-stew-hard-times/
corky569
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Times are tough...but not that tough! Easy endless cottons before I get to crockin or stewin jacks! Either way more power to all you boys :bow:
fishonzac
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:17 am

O.K., had to chime in on this one!
Old Duck shared some Coot jerky at Duck Camp opener. i thought it was tasty. the youngsters would have liked it. As soon as they found out it was Coot, they wanted nothing to do woth it... I thought it was good! :thumbsup:
My all time favorite other white meat......mountain Lion Sirloins on the grill. Cant be beat!!!!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:11 pm

I've had some of OD's coot cuisine. It was really good! I was surprised but it was good.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby towgunner » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Which way did it taste better, going down or coming up? :lol: J/K since I've eaten gator jerky coot can't be too bad.
towgunner
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:21 pm

towgunner wrote:Which way did it taste better, going down or coming up? :lol: J/K since I've eaten gator jerky coot can't be too bad.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :lol:
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Coyote Backstrap!!!!!!!! I'll wrestle ya down to the ground to get my hands on that. :grooving:
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:53 pm

I tried yote one time. Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting