Pheasant?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Pheasant?

Postby Goosebuster#1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 pm

So we have a thirty day season for Pheasant but where huntable numbers are available are a mystery to me. Last pheasant I saw was running across the freeway heading up the hill west of Carlin right after a heavy snow. That is the only one I have seen in Nevada. Granted there is alot of Nevada I have yet to explore but is there anybody willing to give me any hints? I know this is a waterfowl website but.......I have a pup I would like to put into the field without paying $26 a bird for planted birds and even more for trespass fees to hunt wild birds here in NV. Wish I could just head to the Dakotas but. So ???? do they exist or are they a mythical bird as the great (burrowing) chukar used to be?
Thanks GB
Just because the weather is too bad to go to work, tell me again why I shouldn't go hunting
Goosebuster#1
hunter

Re: Pheasant?

Postby Goosecrazy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Lovelock was once a hot spot for pheasant, but a change in agriculture practices changed that. Good luck, would be nice to find wild pheasant in this state.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:08 am

Many moons ago the area south of 80 and east of McCarren and north of the Rosewood golf corse was full of birds but growth and 'Yotes" soon killed them all off and that left Lovelock with all the fields that the ranchers grew "Falfa" in as well as other stuff that the birds could feed on and also have great cover but that also died out about 10 years ago.
Yerington might be the last area but most of good land is on private property, where ever you go in Nevada and one
needs to have connections or friends that will say................"Come on down".

You might look into Calif, it had a good stock in the norther Sac valley ,before I moved to Nevada.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby NVduck » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Mason Valley WMA has some pheasant around. Not easy to find them well at least during the season. During turkey season they are every where.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby Goosecrazy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Yes Cali has them on the refuges, but you will have to deal with the crowds. To bad the Dakota's and Nebraska are so far away.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby nvduckman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:33 am

paradise valley nv. SOOOOO many pheasant there it will blow your mind.
nvduckman
hunter

Postby spoonielips » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:07 pm

paradise is nice, nut lots of private land. I see a lot off the tracks on the way to elko but not enough to put people on them just yet. Shoot all the predators you see, and maybe we will see some numbers come back. When i was a kid, we shot hundreds of them in klamath, but the birds of prey and ddt got em..
spoonielips
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting