Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby tracyhs » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:50 pm

So I live up in sparks, fairly close to the Redhawk Golf Club. I drive past a fairly secluded part of the course a few times a week like any golf course, there are big honkers everywhere. I am an avid bowhunter and was curious, with permission from the course manager, could I shoot geese with my bow? Oh, and btw, the course is well within city limits, if it matters at all.
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada


Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:10 am

I live on RedHawk. The geese tear up RH every year. If the golfcourse manager gives you permission to take a few out, goodluck. I would just be extremely carefull since since it's littered with houses.
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!
NVDuckHunter76
hunter
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:24 pm
Location: Wingfield Springs (Sparks) Nevada

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby creationchris » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 am

just hold out some dorritos and grab em.
creationchris
hunter
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:05 pm
Location: Zephyr Cove, NV

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby fishonzac » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Yeah im going to second the snatch and grab idea way easier and you can pick through the banded ones :lol: :lol:
fishonzac
hunter
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby tracyhs » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:15 pm

NVDuckHunter76 wrote:I live on RedHawk. The geese tear up RH every year. If the golfcourse manager gives you permission to take a few out, goodluck. I would just be extremely carefull since since it's littered with houses.

Haha I need to talk to him, I'm hoping he okays it, the spot I'm thinking is right there off general thatcher, so the only thing behind it is fairway.
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby tracyhs » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:17 pm

creationchris wrote:just hold out some dorritos and grab em.

I thought about it haha I feel it would be more "sporting" and more importantly fun, to shoot one with a turkey broadhead.
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby creationchris » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Anyone know ( with certainty) whether or not you can hunt waterfowl with bow, legally? I did'nt think you can....
creationchris
hunter
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:05 pm
Location: Zephyr Cove, NV

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby fishonzac » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:19 pm

I am with Chris on that one I am not sure but I don't think you can hunt waterfowl with a bow and I am almost positive not with a rifle. You could drain geese at like 200 yards with a .22. I personally think the snatch and grab is more sporting I mean we are shooting them at the golf course. I know at the golf courses I have been to they aren't to schooled on hunters you can walk right up to them. :grooving:
fishonzac
hunter
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby corky569 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Nine iron...it works for bullfrogs!
User avatar
corky569
hunter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Reno, Nv.

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby NVduck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 pm

there is no reg against hunting waterfowl with bow and arrow.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
User avatar
NVduck
hunter
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:53 pm
Location: Dayton, NV

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby tracyhs » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 pm

creationchris wrote:Anyone know ( with certainty) whether or not you can hunt waterfowl with bow, legally? I did'nt think you can....

You can. It's 100% legal.
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby fishonzac » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Awesome you should just go to Virinia Lake and nail them! I would just use a bow fishing set up so I could drink beer with the bums and reel them in while sitting on the park bench!
fishonzac
hunter
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby tracyhs » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 pm

fishonzac wrote:Awesome you should just go to Virinia Lake and nail them! I would just use a bow fishing set up so I could drink beer with the bums and reel them in while sitting on the park bench!

Hahaha I thought about the bowfishing reel, but I decided that the public park hunting trip may be frowned upon.
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby znewc14 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:22 pm

I'd check the discharge laws. I'm at school in Idaho and got close to getting snagged for doing the same thing only with squirrels. I found out if you're in city limits(in Idaho) you can't shoot a gun, release an arrow, shoot a BB/pellet gun, blow darts are out, and even sling shots are not allowed up here. But that comes straight from the text, I'm sure it depends on the cop your actually dealing with.

Best way to do it....don't get caught :thumbsup:
User avatar
znewc14
hunter
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 am
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby Albifrons » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Federally you can kill migratory birds with a bow. Now, the city slicker regs are the ones that will get you. Pretty sure projectiles are out of the question in congested areas.

Clubs?
Albifrons
hunter
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:52 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby tracyhs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:24 pm

znewc14 wrote:I'd check the discharge laws. I'm at school in Idaho and got close to getting snagged for doing the same thing only with squirrels. I found out if you're in city limits(in Idaho) you can't shoot a gun, release an arrow, shoot a BB/pellet gun, blow darts are out, and even sling shots are not allowed up here. But that comes straight from the text, I'm sure it depends on the cop your actually dealing with.

Best way to do it....don't get caught :thumbsup:

My dad is actually a Sparks, NV cop. He okayed it in the city.
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby tracyhs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Albifrons wrote:Federally you can kill migratory birds with a bow. Now, the city slicker regs are the ones that will get you. Pretty sure projectiles are out of the question in congested areas.

Clubs?

My dad is actually a Sparks, NV cop. He okayed it in the city.
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby fishonzac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Wow this is intense! Maybe we all lost sight of the fact this is shooting geese at the golf course. It is one thing to set up a slread call them in and shoot them. Just my two cents but shooting them at a golf course wouldn't be sporting or fun.
fishonzac
hunter
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby Takeem406 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 pm

tracyhs wrote:
creationchris wrote:Anyone know ( with certainty) whether or not you can hunt waterfowl with bow, legally? I did'nt think you can....

You can. It's 100% legal.


I do it! The funnest goose hunt you'll ever do! Leave the training wheels at home and use a longbow. Unless they care on the ground a compound will be way too hard to use...
Also use sharp sharp sharp broadheads and swing through!

I just wait for Em to leave the golf course though. Less drama...


Sent from my layout blind
User avatar
Takeem406
hunter
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:22 am

Re: Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22 am

Takeem406 wrote:
tracyhs wrote:
creationchris wrote:Anyone know ( with certainty) whether or not you can hunt waterfowl with bow, legally? I did'nt think you can....

You can. It's 100% legal.


I do it! The funnest goose hunt you'll ever do! Leave the training wheels at home and use a longbow. Unless they care on the ground a compound will be way too hard to use...
Also use sharp sharp sharp broadheads and swing through!

I just wait for Em to leave the golf course though. Less drama...


Sent from my layout blind


You should make a video for youtube, I've been waiting for someone to make one that actually kills a goose.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.


Un-expect the expected
User avatar
huntfishnv
hunter
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Location: North but not all the way

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:19 am

Wow, you guys got it good out there.
I read the initial post and was waiting for the guy to get slammed as a "newby" asking a stupid question.
Here are a copy of the Regs in NY and no WAY could you pull that off even outside of city limits. Guys are given permission to hunt with shotguns on courses though. I will try to find a reg that actually uses the term Bow, but I think you can interpret their regs to mean, no bow.

No person shall take migratory game birds:

(1) with a trap, snare, net, crossbow, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10-gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance, except that crows may be taken with a rifle;

(2) with a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells, except that this prohibition shall not apply to the taking of crows or to the taking of snow geese or Ross' geese
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 4453
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby creationchris » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am

and there ya have it!
creationchris
hunter
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:05 pm
Location: Zephyr Cove, NV

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby tracyhs » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:41 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Wow, you guys got it good out there.
I read the initial post and was waiting for the guy to get slammed as a "newby" asking a stupid question.
Here are a copy of the Regs in NY and no WAY could you pull that off even outside of city limits. Guys are given permission to hunt with shotguns on courses though. I will try to find a reg that actually uses the term Bow, but I think you can interpret their regs to mean, no bow.

No person shall take migratory game birds:

(1) with a trap, snare, net, crossbow, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10-gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance, except that crows may be taken with a rifle;

(2) with a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells, except that this prohibition shall not apply to the taking of crows or to the taking of snow geese or Ross' geese

How is that a stupid question? It's a completely legitimate question. I wanted to know about the legality within the city limits. I DO know that you can shoot birds with a bow. I never asked that.
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
tracyhs
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby creationchris » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:03 pm

pg 52 NV giuide hunt book states that it is LEGAL to hunt waterfowl with a longbow.
creationchris
hunter
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:05 pm
Location: Zephyr Cove, NV

Re: Golfcourse Goose Hunting?

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:19 pm

I looked into it with a friend here in the DEC and it turns out that it IS legal......Bizarre...but legal.
I have never known anyone to do it, nor have I heard of it done locally (probably because it sounds pretty far up the hick meter) but go for it.
I am doubtful of a clean kill.
It seemed so clearly stupid to me that I just figured it HAD to be illegal.
Have fun.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 4453
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Next

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests