Spring Weather

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Spring Weather

Postby DuckManWest » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Just returned home from a week in vegas. Unfortunately, all work related! Shorts weather down there. usually this time of year I look forward to making the trip to warm up and get a break from the cold weather here. Last year Washoe had frozen solid twice by now and people were ice skating on little Washoe. I drove by the lake and observed hunters taking a nap in the willows soaking up the sun. :lol3: The Carson River by Ft. Churchill was flowing big and wide when passing through.
On a positive note, I did observe hundreds of Geese all over the neighborhoods in Reno today while Christmas shopping!
Not much being posted on here, so I assume it has been relatively slow while i was down South.
I will be taking the week off during Christmas and hit it hard once again. We had some good hunts over thanksgiving week. hopefully the weather patterns will change and improve bird numbers soon.
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Re: Spring Weather

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Thinkin about launching my duck boat at Washoe, sittin in the middle and trying my luck at catchin Carp! :thumbsup: Damn, we need some birds down here!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
Nevada Waterfowl Association Member
National Rifle Assocation Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:44 pm

NVDuckHunter76 wrote:Thinkin about launching my duck boat at Washoe, sittin in the middle and trying my luck at catchin Carp! :thumbsup: Damn, we need some birds down here!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Carpin' with a fly rod is a ton of fun.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Goosecrazy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:35 am

Looks like maybe the freeze is coming. I sure hope so, a good long a hard freeze.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:11 am

Good freeze out here last night....16 degrees. Too much and too long will lock things up. We got a long range forecast from the State Hydrologist a few days ago. Polar Vortex shift in Alaska. Basically speaking, a prediction of a Pineapple express the last week in December for our area. If all of the predictions hold true, we could have a surplus water supply for this winter season. We all know how weather predictions are! :lol: It would be nice to see a big water year to carry us over for next season. We need it!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby Goosecrazy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:16 am

DuckManWest wrote:Good freeze out here last night....16 degrees. Too much and too long will lock things up. We got a long range forecast from the State Hydrologist a few days ago. Polar Vortex shift in Alaska. Basically speaking, a prediction of a Pineapple express the last week in December for our area. If all of the predictions hold true, we could have a surplus water supply for this winter season. We all know how weather predictions are! :lol: It would be nice to see a big water year to carry us over for next season. We need it!

Pineapple express does nothing to help hunting until after the season when it does add water, like Febuary and March. Right now if the water does not get locked up north there ain't gonna be much for northern birds comin down. Not to mention when it locks up here the field hunting is smokin.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Water is good..period. yes, it takes nasty cold weather in the North to push birds down.
When it freezes solid here, good luck! Unless you find open water or your fields, gonna be a tough hunt.
Unfortunately been there and done that. :fingerpt:
Best get busy, clocks a tickin!
Merry Christmas to all! :beer:
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby Goosecrazy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Looks like the weather is going to create a push. Oregon Washington getting hammered with snow and freezing temps. Should be a push of northern birds our way. :thumbsup:
Goosecrazy
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting