looks like i'amm moving to reno

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

looks like i'amm moving to reno

Postby M2005M » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 am

i live in sioux falls south dakota.i lived here 8 years.i have been retired for a few years.my son in law just got a job offer from apple.they are now in morgan hill along with my 3 grandson.i won't live in ca,so the next place is reno.nv.i love to hunt ducks .in south dakota you don't need a boat.so my question is do you need a boat to hunt green head duck club or stilwater refuge.any information is helpful thanks.
M2005M
hunter

Re: looks like i'amm moving to reno

Postby huntfishnv » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Don't need it but, it will open up a lot more opportunity to you.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby creationchris » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:08 pm

You do need a boat, but not a john boat. Many guys, including myself, hunt these spots with canoes and electric motors. I prefer this as it is easier, and quieter. I/we have a system so that when I get my canoe to my spot I can stabilize it so it don't tip over. It takes some practice but works damn well!
creationchris
hunter

Postby amink » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 pm

You can hunt Stillwater successfully without a boat if you're willing to hoof it a little. A lot of guys use jons and mud motors, but a kayak or canoe and an electric motor or a paddle will get you pretty much anywhere. Some of the ponds you cannot use motors of any type and some you can't even use a boat. It can be a good place to hunt but you have to work it. Scouting is imperative.
amink
hunter

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Ive hunted for 3 years now without a boat it is not necessary but common sense says it will increase opportunies. Being from South Dakota you are probably not going to see the numbers you are used to say as everyone else says hard work and time will pay off. I welcome you out this way and hope you enjoy it
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby NVDuckSlapper » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 pm

canoes, kayaks, or aquapods are your best bet at greenhead, but ive had a lot of successful duck hunts by walking and laying in a pull sled.
"Federal Tax Refund. Three beautiful words that could easily be turned into three other beautiful words: floating goose decoys."
NVDuckSlapper
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 am

Generally, the farther you get from the parking lots and dikes, the better the hunting is.
Walking in the alkalie mud is the pits...............and not for those out of shape or with a bad heart.
A boat and a dog are always a big PLUS !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting