dove opener

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

dove opener

Postby cshunter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:49 am

ok i know we still got a little bit of time to go but who else is getting excited for the dove opener?!
cshunter
hunter

Re: dove opener

Postby Goosecrazy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 am

Yeah huntin season less than a month to start. Got a couple bow tags to fill before bird season begins.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby amink » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 am

I haven't hunted dove for a year or two but want to get out this year. The place we used to go (the plateau above Mayberry Park) was deemed "congested area" quite a while ago. The south face of Peavine has also been locked off to the first or second ridge. Any suggestions that are close to Reno?
amink
hunter

Postby Yard Goose » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:53 am

Can't wait. Have 50 acres of oats... One more cut and then I can get a figure of birds.. Tired of not having water.. It should be a warm one as usual.. Thank God that Bison Fire didn't take it all out. Came within 1/2 mile of taking it all away! Moved all the sprinklers for the fields around the main house, just in case. But luckily our fire fighters got it out! :clapping: :bow:
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:50 am

Goose, glad your place survived.
Fires are eating lots of wildlife habitat this year!
It's going to be a long, hot next few months!! :mad:
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby cbrauly » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:00 am

Yard Goose I am glad your home made it. Happy hunting
cbrauly
hunter

Postby NVDuckSlapper » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Im getting real excited. i've been seeing a bunch of ringed turtle doves hanging around my backyard for the last few months and ive never seen them around these parts before. Anyone else seeing any big doves around your areas lately?
"Federal Tax Refund. Three beautiful words that could easily be turned into three other beautiful words: floating goose decoys."
NVDuckSlapper
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:10 pm

No more hunting in the Reno and Sparks areas any more with the new Washoe area shotgun shooting areas.
They even put the screws to the Eagle canyon road area, so learn or ask where it is legal to shoot now.
I hunted the east side hills of Sparks but the roads have locked gates now............
10 miles out of town is about as good as it gets...................if not on private land. Red Rock is down the tubes, so
better get used to putting more gas into the tank and getting up a little earlier.
Don't forget the hip #
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Yard Goose » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Sorry to here that... Thank God for private land.. Will be cutting next week and will have final number!!!! :grooving:
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby cshunter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:45 am

so whats this i just saw bout the new shotgun thing in washoe?
cshunter
hunter

Postby amink » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:48 pm

cshunter wrote:so whats this i just saw bout the new shotgun thing in washoe?

Do tell! What did you hear?
amink
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 pm

A lot of areas close to town or buildings that we hunted last year have been posted by either the Sheriff or
the Fish & Game dept. due to complaints or their "Guesstaments" that it was not safe or needed to come to a halt.

Some roads just had Huge Boulders placed to prevent getting into an area, if not posted.

One day away !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby NVduck » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:56 pm

Just wanted to say GOODLUCK to everyone who is gonna try for some dove tomorrow. Be safe and happy hunting

Welcome to the start of our bird season!!! :yes:
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Old man had to climb in the shower to cool off.............then take care of the few birds I kept. Only five,
no one else likes them .
Tried my 1oz. reloads with reclaimed #8 at 1290 fps............... They SUCK!! Lots of cripples and no dog.
Had quite the work out today since all birds were pass shooting, my water hole was dry this year. I ended up
between the water areas and roosting trees, plus I never had a shot closer than 35 yards.

My close to home area was posted and this other area was 11.7 miles farther up the road to a turn off and had to
hit the dusty back roads to get into an area to try and get into the birds. A few hunters out but managed to find a place away from them all and lode up the old A-5 Browning and went about 50 yards away from the Jeep and hunkered down behind a large dead tree for some cover . Good view of the valley below and the Pinions above.
Some guys started shooting around 7:20 but I did not see my first bird until 9:30am and at 10:10 . After 15 shells I finally scratched out my 5th bird.

Foothills north of Reno are pretty tuff................but there are birds.

Stay safe.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby towgunner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Are you guys up north getting the Eurasians thick this year...98% of the birds we shot were collared doves.
towgunner
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting