Welcome & Introductions

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Where are you from?

North West (Reno, Fallon, Fernley, Hawthorne, CC, CV, Yerington )
64%
South (Las Vegas, Henderson, Pahrump, Alamo, Mesq, Overton. etc )
33%
East (Panaca, Ely, Elko, Pioche, Winnemucca)
3%

Total votes : 159

Welcome & Introductions

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:56 am

Nevadans,

Our forum has exploded with growth over the past year. I am pleased with the amount of helpful and knowledgeable hunters appearing each month. Thank you for helping keep DHC NV stay a helpful, friendly forum. Please use this thread to introduce yourselves and the area your from.

DROPDUX

:welcome:
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby danmcmartin » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:26 am

Due to my highly creative screen name, i'm sure nobody figured out my name is Dan. I live in Smith Valley. I usually hunt Mason Valley WMA. :getdown:
danmcmartin
hunter

Postby GunDog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:24 am

Not sure how to vote...is there an "other" region?
Regardless, I'm a northern Nevada hunter at heart and that's where I'll be off and on throughout this year's season. Been in Reno for the past 15 years, but just relocated to So Cal this summer.

My name's Travis and my hunting buddy on the left is Lily w/ last year's goose double. Haven't drawn a deer or antelope tag in the past 8 years so I split my fall & winter hunting between chukar and duck/goose anywhere within a 3 hr drive of Reno. Usually put away my fishing gear after Cali October closures, but spent many summers flyfishing and float tubing local waters.

Now that I'm living in So Cal, any hunting and fishing will be limited to trips back up to Reno or possibly shorter trips to Bishop/Bridgeport areas...that is other than my occasional trip out on the big blue pacific for some "bigger challenges".
GunDog
hunter

old guy in town

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Greetings, my name is Sagebrush. (Ed ) Reno Nv.

As you can see by my many post, I take things very seriously !! :laughing: :laughing: :hammering: :hammering: :eek: :eek: :getdown: :getdown:

Hunt mostly greenhead & stillwater. 30 duck decoys,no dog.
Only a fair shot.......97 out of 100 at ATA Trap.

PS retired......................good to go !! :thumbsup:

metalic gray 2004 jeep 449 DYM

I also have a 17ft Alumaweld boat for Pyramid,Trout ,Kokanee , Bass and pan fish....what ever..........if I am not fly fishing.
Last edited by Sagebrush on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby ducilla1479 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:07 am

I'm Ducilla. ( Really Dennis) I have been hunting ducks (and other things) in nevada my whole life(a native nevadan). I started with my Dad in the late 50's and have been addicted ever since.
Stillwater is my area of choice ,probably because I know it so well and it holds a lot of great memories.
I now hunt with my "3" sons. two are all mine and one married my little girl. But can you think of a better husband for your daughter than a dedicated duck hunter?
I own a couple english labs that are more house pets than hunters but I enjoy their company just the same.
I do use a boat (when the water allows) with a go-devil engine,a present to myself for reaching 50 years old and still hunting with fire in my heart.
I am also the new owner of property in beautiful downtown Stillwater that someday I hope to make into a proper duck shack.I'm sure with the help of my boys we will make it happen
I usually also hunt with my best 2 hunting (and life) buddies Darren and Dusty and some combination of sons
all for now you have heard the highlights :laughing:
"LETS ROLL"
ducilla1479
hunter

Postby waterfowler76 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:00 pm

I'm in Las Vegas I live for this time of year... Right now Im at work watching the clock cant wait till tomorrow. Im new to the forum but have been hunting since I was a kid. Now living in Nevada we regularly hunt from Ash Meadows to Sunnyside. And take anual hunting trips to Montana and New Mexico. Glad to be here.
:salude:
Last edited by waterfowler76 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love the smell of marsh gas in the morning!
waterfowler76
hunter

New to Reno Area

Postby Lab_and_Me » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:32 am

Greetings everyone.

I am new to the area. I am also new to hunting. I have been training my dog for awhile now and he is ready. I just need good areas to go, how to hunt/call, etc. If anyone is interesting is taking me to some places to hunt, in return I will guarantee EXCELLENT dog work from my chocolate labrador retirever.

Thank You

Neil
Lab_and_Me
hunter

Postby JakeB » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Hello I'm Jake I just moved to Reno to attend UNR. I love bird hunting and especially duck hunting. I have been hunting since I was just a little kid and I'm looking forward to exploring new hunting areas and meeting new hunting buddies.
JakeB
Newb

Just gettin started Duck Hunting in NV

Postby renoboyd » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:45 pm

Hey Guys and Gals. Name is Boyd, am an avid hunter for big game and have been that way since God knows when. Been living in our fabulous state for about 15 years now. Just getting life together enough to start up with the Duck/Waterfoul hunting. I am just not all that familiar with it in this area. I have seen many people around Washoe Lake(s) but from what I see it doesnt appear they are that successful. I hear about the Sill water area around Fallon. Can anyone in the forum help with the where to go how to get there/best area to go to/best times, etc. info? Would be appreciated.

Meanwhile. my son and I recently filled both of our deer tags for 194/196. Deer everywhere. It was too easy and next year, should we get pulled again, that 8x8 I saw, well, he's mine. Any other deer hunter stories out there for NV?

Boyd :salude:
renoboyd
Newb

Postby blindhunter » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi, My name is Aubry and this is my second year duck hunting, I love it, it has brought my son and I together since he also love the sport. I live in fallon nevada and so far have hunted Stillwater, Greenhead, Walker and Indian lakes.

Not only have I found a new passion, but I have met some great people, and made some very close friends. I would like to say thanks to Frank Evans, Billie Williams, and J.D. Fennison for introducing me to the sport. And look forward to meeting new people and learning through this Forum.

Any hints on where and how to get a few geese would be great, it would make a great end to a great season for my son and I.
blindhunter
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:18 am

Hey Folks
Been reading the site since Blindhunter told me about it. My name is Frank Evans, and have hunted ducks for about 46 years. My dad started taking me out when I was 8 and started hunting when I turned 12. I moved to Sliver Springs 13 years ago from No. Calif. (Eureka area). I still hunt Calif. Around home here I hunt Stillwater, Greenhead, Walker Lake, Mason Valley and the lake at the house. Always looking for new areas and new people to do it with.

Frank
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby DUNevada » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:58 am

I just joined and it is very well done. I am the Regional Director for Ducks Unlimited NV and AZ. I hunt all over both states.
DUNevada
Newb

Postby dcnevada » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:31 pm

Hey everyone,

I just joined up here, seems like a great place to discuss duck hunting and everything else to hunt and catch here in Nevada. My name is Zach and live in Sparks. I have only been hunting ducks for a few years, sort of a newbie. But I enjoy the sport. Since I am new to duck hunting, I am always looking for places to go and people to go with, so any ideas let me know, I would appreciate it.

Have a great season!
dcnevada
hunter

new to nevada

Postby ant » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:23 pm

Hello im new to this state, i moved from MI which suffice to say has excellent duck, geese and deer hunting as well as turkey and ...well you get the picture. I have been hunting deer for a whiile and pheasant however i am new to duck and geese and dont know anyone here that likes to hunt. well i just want to say hello and i look forward to reading as many posts as i can and absorbing as much as i can. I look forward to some scouting over the course of the next few months and hope to get some dinners for my work. :hammer:
ant
hunter

Postby lasvegasducks » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:15 pm

Hello,

My name is Alex, and I have been hunting ducks since I was old enough to follow my dad through the cattails. Nothing better than getting into some good waterfowl action. Hunt mostly kirch wildlife and around alamo, but hit overton once in awhile. Look forward to meeting some fellow hunters. Good luck to everyone this season.
lasvegasducks
hunter

the weather out here is nice

Postby ant » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:48 am

Im use to frigid mornings and my gear is mostly for michigan weather. Now i live in a more dry and warmer climate i am wondering what to expect. im sure what i have maybe too warm and possibly the wrong pattern of camo. I have scouted overton and im not sure my advantage max-4 pattern is going to work..mostly becuase i have only seen it in the spring. I have seen it snow here last winter which was nice but of course it doesnt stick. the last thing i want is to go out under protected.. :help:
ant
hunter

Whoo hooo... got my first two ducks on opening day!

Postby KnockEmDown » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:21 pm

My name is Justin and I live in the Carson City area... I'm new to this whole hunting thing, but I've jumped in with both feet ready to take on a new passion. In fact, I had to convince my wife that I was giving up golf for a year just so I could buy the basic gear I needed (shotgun, waders, etc.). I did get my first two ducks on opening day at Stillwater and I can't wait to get out again... I think I found my new addiction!
KnockEmDown
hunter

re: you ducks

Postby ant » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:42 pm

Awesome! i hope to get out in the field soon. :thumbsup:
ant
hunter

Postby BattleBornNV » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:26 pm

My name is Shawn and I live in Carson City. Have been hunting ducks/geese for about six years and I still have a lot to learn. I hunt Washoe, Greenhead, Mason Valley. I also hunt geese on private land in the area. I love to hunt! Hope everyone has a great season.
BattleBornNV
Newb

Postby FNG » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:58 pm

FNG = Freakin' New Guy.....

I am a US Marine and every 3 years I re-locate and have to find new places to hunt waterfowl. I moved to Coleville, Ca from Quantico Va last year, and recently bought a Nevada license to hunt all of the premier waterfolwn destinations in NV.

I have been hunting ducks for about 4 years.....spending most of younger years deployed, partying, and chasing dames.

I am orginally from Illinois and went to college in the middle of the Illinois corn belt without ever realizing what I was missing (see last paragraph).

I own a 18ft Go-Devil boat and motor that has not been the water for 2 years. I cannot find a place to use it within driving distance so it has been in storage since I moved here.

I hunt with my son's yellow Lab that I bought him for Christmas 3 years ago (my wife saw right through that after I started training him). Every boy needs a dog right?

I have really enjoyed the interaction/converstaion on the NV forum. Thank you for your continued information and education.

If you see someone wandering aimlessly around the WMA's , it is probably me trying to find a place to hunt. Feel free to waive me down and take me under your wing
FNG
hunter

Hello All.

Postby IB Shootin' » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:51 pm

My name is Ian and I live in Reno. I am a hunting and fishing fool. Started a little late in life on the big game and waterfowl. I enjoy hunting big game as much as upland and waterfowl. Just shot a nice 22tall x 22wide 4x4 buck in 071 my first ever, and had a great time.

I only picked up waterfowl hunting 3 years ago and find it to be one of the coolest things I have ever done. Any help with the learning process is always appreciated.

Good hunting all.
IB Shootin'
hunter

Postby NV Dmax » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:01 pm

Hello,
My name is Dan and I have been a duckaholic since before I could drive. I can't remember the last time I went without ducking. I came to this site so I can get help with my ducking problem. I battle with my addiction on a seasonal basis. I hope everyone here will accept me for who I am.

Thanks again,

Dan

P.S. I live in Sparks
Don't argue with idiots, the audience might not be able to tell you apart.
96% of Americans say "oh sh*t" when they drive into a ditch. The other 4% are from Nevada and say "hold my beer and watch this sh*t"
NV Dmax
Newb

Postby DuckZilla » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:12 pm

Hello all I am Will. I have been creeping around these forums for a little while now and think its time to formally introduce myself. I have lived in Nevada(Las Vegas) for almost 2 years now. I originally came from Minnesota. I have been hunting ducks for as long as I have been able to get out in the blinds. My first duck was a banded Woodie back in Minnesota, and I've followed him up with many more ducks and geese. I was skeptical at first about the possibility of hunting waterfowl here in Nevada. I thought, come on now this is the desert how CAN there be any water or waterfowl for that matter. Boy was I wrong!!! I have enjoyed 2 years of some of the best waterfowling of my life. Lots of helpful hunters and a overall great place to be. Only 200 some odd days left till the season begins again. Here's a good luck to everyone this coming season!!
Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
DuckZilla
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:44 pm

:welcome: DMax and Duckzilla, you'll find that you can get some good information and help here.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby rob.lund » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:16 pm

Just found this forum. Looking forward to the season this year.

-Rob
rob.lund
hunter

Next

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting