Welcome & Introductions

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Where are you from?

North West (Reno, Fallon, Fernley, Hawthorne, CC, CV, Yerington )
64%
South (Las Vegas, Henderson, Pahrump, Alamo, Mesq, Overton. etc )
33%
East (Panaca, Ely, Elko, Pioche, Winnemucca)
3%

Total votes : 159

Re: Welcome & Introductions

Postby nvhunter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:31 pm

hi im from winnemucca a little duck hunting mostly jump an shoot on little creeks
nvhunter
hunter

Postby birdhunter3126 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:20 am

Hi all Names Pete. Born and raised in vegas flew the coop to reno. Started duck hunting last year but have been hunting since i was 9. i have to german wiredhair pointers back in vegas which are still pups but will be my best buds when im down in vegas ocassionally. Glad to be here and its good to see this bored is a pretty happy easy going one only a few more months boys and girls :beer:
Its raining ducks
birdhunter3126
hunter

Postby duckin around » Sat May 23, 2009 9:43 pm

My user name is duckin around my name is Bryon (Brian). I have lived in Henderson, NV for 2 years. My job transferred me here from southeast Iowa. I will describe myself as a hardcore waterfowler, been hunting for 30 years. I have only hunted in Overton WMA so far. Plan on hunting other locations this coming season. Look forward to chatting with other hunters from Nevada on this website and sharing some successful and not so successful days in the field. :thumbsup:
duckin around
Newb

Postby Old Duck Getter » Tue May 26, 2009 5:43 pm

:welcome: duckin, Know you will enjoy this site. There are some duck chaser down in your country that will help out.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby duckin around » Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm sure I will enjoy the site. Thank you for welcoming me.
duckin around
Newb

Postby new nv ducker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:59 pm

I am new to the vegas area from Missouri so all the sand and rocks are taking a little time to get used to. I went to Overton this morning since it is the closest place. Is there any wade-in areas or do you have to hunt from blinds?
new nv ducker
Newb

Postby Old Duck Getter » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:25 pm

:welcome: nnd, I sure someone will let you know what's up down there. We have a great bunch of guy's here! :yes: :yes:

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby TakenDrakes » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi every body, my names Brendan I've been an avid bow,and upland game hunter since I was around 12, do to my new career change of becoming a Wildland firefighter I have to hang the bow up. I pretty much have the whole winter off so now I'm able to persue duck hunting, I've done it only a hand full of times in Bakersfield Ca, and I've always wanted more.... any help with local areas around Las Vegas would be great. I've only heard really of The Overton,Ash Meadows areas, I'm all about jumping in full steam I just need some beginners advice. My goal this season is to get my webs wet,explore the Nv duck scene and hopefully learn enough to feel confident adding a lab into the mix next season thanks ahead of time for the help!
TakenDrakes
Newb

Postby GaryBHunting » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:58 pm

new nv ducker wrote:I am new to the vegas area from Missouri so all the sand and rocks are taking a little time to get used to. I went to Overton this morning since it is the closest place. Is there any wade-in areas or do you have to hunt from blinds?

HI New NV D,

Overton is a reservation type of hunt WMA. I do not hunt it that much as it gets pretty crowded and you need to show up at 3 am for a lottery for blinds. That is how the reservations are distributed. It hunts every other day after opener. It will have a split season with goose starting on the 17th and other waterfowl starting on the 30th. There are some walk in areas like by the Virgin River but I haven't been there in a while.

Here are the regs http://www.ndow.org/hunt/seasons/mig/

Honestly, as long as you have to be up and onsite at 3am I opt to drive north to Sunyside (Wayne Kirsh) but that gets crowded too. If you take the time to travel up north ODG will help you with areas.

Let's talk a little after opener so we know if and where the waterfowl are. Last year was a very late year before we had any type of migration south.

Good luck!

PS welcome Brendan, this information should help you too.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:19 pm

:welcome: TakenDrakes,
You'll find this a good site. There will be someone in your area to help out. If you ever get up North here let me know and we can set something up.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby GETTER DONE » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Hey guys I have been hunting in Nevada for a couple years, but now that I am out of the military we decided to buy a house in Nevada. So if any wants to go for a hunt both California or Nevada let me know I have spots, decoys both goose & duck and a lab. Sorry I was from California I know How You guys hate us migrators :lol3: :lol3: :thumbsup: Were's is Old Duck Getter?
MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF
DRAKE WATERFOWL FIELD STAFF
PRECISION CALLS PRO STAFF MANAGER
TANGLEFREE PRO STAFF
OWNER T &T OUTFITTERS
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TT-Outfi ... =bookmarks
GETTER DONE
hunter

Postby NVH2oFowler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:35 am

Hello to everyone, my nane is Shawn I'm a native southern Navadan been H2ofowl hunting for 26 years I hunt overton,Lake mead,sunnyside and alamo but for last 2 yearsI have been going to Washington-goose hunting, Ohio duck & goose hunting and Maryland to sea duck hunt and goose. But I hold so. Nevada close to my heart it's where I learned to hunt waterfowl by my father and now it's where my son has learned the art of waterfowling he is now 8 and have been with me on every hunt since than,this kid is hardcore and I could not be more happy about it, he even shot his first banded goose last year in Ohio with his o/u 28ga he even took the band and the foot of the goose to school and that blew over like a fart in chruch, but that's a diffrent story. I look forward to talking to and meeting some of you on DHC.
Good hunting,Shawn
Don't shoot till you can see there toenails!!
NVH2oFowler
hunter

Postby pizzaman_288 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:29 pm

hey guys my name is ira ive been duck hunting for about 10 yrs now and its all i talk about according to one of my brothers im a die hard duck hunter i dont know why he thinks that maybe because ill go out in any weather to get the ducks i hunt mostly greenhead and i usually hunt with my best hunting partner my dad i know the memories we make will last a life time i look forward to hunting with him every week and in the off season we go fishing together couldnt ask for a better partner to hunt and fish with if you ever need a partner in the reno carson or fallon area let me know
pizzaman_288
hunter

Postby mxer0022 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:14 pm

hello everyone

my name is Randall and i grew up in Logandale. i enlisted in the Navy and am currently stationed in south carolina. i didn't get introduced to duck hunting until i moved here where a buddy of mine took me under his wing and showed me the ropes. i still have a lot to learn but i am trying. i only have a little over a year left in the navy so i'm hoping that i can make it back there to gods country.

it'll be really nice meeting you all
randall
mxer0022
hunter

Postby quackersmacker87 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:46 pm

my name is pat i have lived in nevada my whole life. i began waterfowl huntin when i was 12 years old. i grew up in gardnerville. i now reside in elko and i work for newmont gold company . i also lived in laramie wy and went to school to be a diesel mechanic. the duck huntin in laramie is not verygod. i have already noticed that this forum has provided me with valubal info and im sure it will continue to in the future
MISERY LOVES COMPANY
quackersmacker87
hunter

Postby LBT&Rocket » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:40 am

Hello all... my name is LBT&Rocket(Woody).

I have been hunting and living in NNV for 10 years now. I grew up hunting around Southern Oregon and really started to get into it during my college years in Southern Utah. I really like to hunt waterfowl and upland game and have found this area to fill both of my addictions quite well.

I usually hunt waterfowl at Stillwater or MV, so if you see a Ford F150 with a 12 foot Porta-Boat hanging out the back, say hello!

LBT=Lab
Rocket=Golden
LBT&Rocket
Newb

Postby Old Duck Getter » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:53 am

:welcome: hope you enjoy our site. We have some good people. Glad to add you to the list.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby pumpkin slinger » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:40 pm

Hey Yall,

"Wow" I never new there was a forum like this for Duck hunters, "I love it"! Grew up in the Central valley, Fish and Game and Farming family. Been in Reno 2 years I really love it!
Have a great day, Slinger
pumpkin slinger
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Hey, my names Matt i started hunting as soon as i got my hunters saftey a few years ago. I hunt big game and birds. Last year was my first year waterfowl hunting and I had to do everything by myself. So last year was not that succsesful in terms of birds taken but none the less i had a great time and cant wait untill the season opens! :hammer: I just moved here last summer so the only place I hunted was washoe but im looking to get into some new areas this year. In the mean time i do pretty much everything outdoors and I amalso a fairly good fly fisherman. Cya on the water!!!
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby chuckwhiskey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:36 am

Good morning gents,
I have posted up here in the NV forum over the last month but I figured that I would take the time and introduce myself. My name is John Werth, I am originally from Northern Michigan, but I joined the Air Force back in 05' and have been stationed in OK for the last 5 years. I have been hunting all game, birds, and fowl since I was old enough to hold a gun. My two passions are Archery hunting and waterfowling, but I also enjoy anything that has to do with guns. I ran a waterfowl guide service in OK for veterans, both past and present, and I am fairly decent with a call. I just added a field proven master hunter black lab to my family, so I am ready to go. I will be arriving in NV in mid OCT and will be located out of North Las Vegas. I am also looking for some folks that would like to get into some preditor hunting and chasing big cats. Well I look forward to talking with you all and possibly sharing some time in the blind or in the woods.

:beer:
An armed nation is a free nation

There is something about this country............
chuckwhiskey
hunter

Postby ASmith » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:48 am

Hello, My name is Aaron. I am new to Nevada, moved here about 1 1/2 years ago. I live in Winnemucca. Now dont hold this against me, but I did move from Northern California. I just got into duck/goose hunting about 3 years ago. I am trying to figure out where in Nevada to go hunting. Im not looking for anyones honeyholes....just some general known duck/goose areas and aslo how to go about hunting at the Refuges. Any info would be great. Thanks and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

:help:
Hold my beer, watch this!!!

Always looking for a new hunting partner, send a pm.
ASmith
hunter

Finally back to hunt some ducks

Postby War Machine » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:48 am

Hey folks,

My names matt, im from Gardnerville, and currently live in carson city with my girlfriend (shes also my weather forcaster, head chef and gear locator) after enlisting i finally get back home and get an opportunity to do what i love, kill ducks and kill geese.

Spend most of my time on farms and ranches i worked for over they years, and greenhead, stillwater, mason and Smith Valley...

Havent been able to hunt here for a few season so im anxious to go hammer some birds like i did back in 05 and 06. I have an awesome yellow lab, a ton of deeks( Duck and geese), 3 boats and a passion, what more can i say...

Hope to see you in the parking lots this year folks,
Mercinary Duck Hunter, HAVE CALLS WILL HUNT

PM me for custom boat blind fabrication, welding or building

SEMPER FI
War Machine
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 am

:welcome: to all you new folks. Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but with work, fishing and hunting have not had much extra time. If you see my old Nissan ( white with alum. top - boat rack, stop and chat while ). Always have time for that. If you need help we have some great people here that may not tell their honey holes,but will turn you in the right direction.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby waterfowler76 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:26 am

:welcome:
I love the smell of marsh gas in the morning!
waterfowler76
hunter

Postby benelli_birder » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:56 pm

hi the name is erick. i'm 23. i've been upland game hunting for 3 years now. i wanna branch out. i tried dove this weekend but no luck. not really sure where to go or what to do when it comes to duck hunting. not much of my family hunts so people to help out with where to go for anything would be nice. thanks
Want the best??? Get a Caravan Camper!
benelli_birder
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting