Pyramid ruling

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Pyramid ruling

Postby 1nvduhhtr » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:45 pm

I hope there is duck hunting in the Fallon area this year after the federal ruling there will be no water transferred to Greenhead or Stillwater for the benefit of water fowl, must be agricultural in nature. Greenhead might not even open at this point. :sad:
1nvduhhtr
hunter

Re: Pyramid ruling

Postby chukar100 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:51 am

The ruling you are referring to must be the recent 9th circuit decision on full duty water rights transfers to Carson Lake. Although the decision is a bad one it does not reduce any current water right values. Carson Lake and Stillwater still retain all the original water rights obtained from purchases. These water rights when purchased were transferred at a reduced rate and delivered accordingly. Although the case was lost, Stillwater and Carson Lake are still entitled to the same amount of water rights since the program began in the 90's. Had the case been decided in our favor the result would have been increased duty never afforded in the past. Reduced flows to Stillwater and Carson Lake this year will result in sub par conditions for sure, as all water right holders in the Lahontan Valley are subject to a 75% allotment this year due to drought. This not only effects water rights but reduces drain flows which are vital to both areas.. Greenhead will be operating per norm. Conditions will be similar to those we experienced in the late 80's (probably only the two big units) but better then 92 when the area was completely dry. This is a guess for sure could be worse if Lahontan reservoir drops below the minimum pool, but article in the Fallon paper yesterday said water would be available through September.
chukar100
hunter

Postby amink » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:42 pm

I've heard from a few people that Stillwater isn't looking promising this year. Washoe is drying up day to day (and I'm guessing it's still 7 day/week so over-shot). Might have to actually chukar hunt this year. :no:
amink
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:19 am

The backup water for the tribe at Stamped and Boca also looks pretty bad right now...........
Last trip up fishing Stamped, where there are usually TWO islands in the middle of the lake, are
TWO small islands , with a 20 foot "HIGH" section of "LAND" in the middle of them, which means it is
at least 27 feet lower at this time than last year.

If the water master at Tahoe is not heads up, this could be a very low water year !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby amink » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:59 pm

From Susan at Stillwater (I emailed and asked how it's looking):

Hey Andy - weeeeellllllll, its not looking too good out there for the waterfowl season. even a late deluge of rain won't make a difference now; we'll have water in West Marsh and Tule for sure, the other larger units we are taking advantage of the low water year to dry out so we can get in and do some serious work (Goose, Nutgrass, Swan, Lead Lk). the ground water keeps subbing up so its very hard to get equipment in unless we can keep surface water off for 6mos min. This way we can get a good burn on them next Spring, fix gates, clean checks, clear launches, etc. to compare, Carson Lake (Greenhead Club) is only filling one unit this year, Sprig. but not restricting hunter #'s so it could be crazy out there on opener!

Bill Henry, our biologist for 20+ yrs is retiring end of Aug. and there are no plans or budget to fill his job until next fiscal yr (Oct 2014 as of now). we hope to get a temp biologist in the meanwhile, not sure when that will get approved and done. We also lost 2 mntc guys to retirements, those jobs also not being filled, so the other two will be handling the water until the delivery season ends first of Oct, about 6wks earlier than normal for us. it was only a 75% water year anyway for the TCID, and if Lahontan goes any lower, they could end deliveries in Sept.

bird numbers in the nesting grounds (CAnada, Arctic and points north of us) are very good, but if we don't have the water, food, cover they won't want to hang out here very long. we'll just have to wait and see at this point, and hope for a LOT of wet in the Sierra this winter.

wish I had better news, but maybe this is a chance for the refuge to rest and get a makeover for next season!
amink
hunter

Postby amink » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Correction from Susan:

Hey Andy - I have a correction for you to post on the refuge blog - about Greenhead Club: their plans are to have at a minimum 2 units (Sprig and Big Water) filled for the season, possibly three if the water is there later. this came from the board of directors so they should know!

The refuge is in close contact with the TCID irrigation district on the water situation for the valley, and I will let you know (since I don't have an account on the blog site) when I get updates so you can post them.
amink
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:41 am

Bad news for the low water year, good news for clean-up and burning of the refuges. Mason will be getting torched very soon. It is time for these Refuges to get repaired, burned and back in shape!!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting