Current water storage

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Current water storage

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Stampede (Truckee river) is at 56% as of Sunday August 25th which is a lot lower than it was last year at this time.

Lahontan holds 295,542 acre feet and is down to only....... 24,620.

That comes to .08 % !!

Not looking good.
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: Current water storage

Postby amink » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Looks like it may be a chukar kind of waterfowl season.
amink
hunter

Postby dolf82 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:33 am

I've spent some time up around Elko the past couple months scouting for big game hunts. Both South Fork and Wild Horse reservoirs are still holding a good deal of water and are loaded with birds as of the last two weeks.

Also, for a weekend getaway, the Ruby Marsh can be dynamite; especially when the big migrations come through, just before freeze up. Mid to late November is usually off the handle.

If you're super ambitious, some of the reservoirs in southern Idaho, as well as the Snake River, often can be great destinations. My family and I head through southern Idaho on the way to Great Falls, Montana each December to chase pheasants and all of the waters in that country (especially the Snake) are loaded with birds.

Klamath Falls, Oregon area is supposed to be great as well. Only 4.5 hours from Reno.

Expand and try something new.....
dolf82
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Stampede (Truckee river) is at 56% as of Sunday August 25th which is a lot lower than it was last year at this time.

Lahontan holds 295,542 acre feet and is down to only....... 24,620.

That comes to .08 % !!

Not looking good.

Wow, I've heard the water is low but damn.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:02 am

Be prepared for crowds around the few areas of huntable water this season.
Always the same when we have these drought years.
Washoe Lake is low and getting lower by the day. Forget boats there. South ramp high and dry, North extremely shallow.
Expanding horizons for hunting areas is an awesome suggestion. Lots of good hunting within a half day drive.
Good luck!
Almost time to whack some doves :hammer:
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:35 am

If you thought Washoe was low last year......................

Yes , the area looks pretty sad right now........... I don't have a lay down so I might have to pass
on one of my old "Water holes" that might not have any cover within range of the water.

I might have to go "After" the birds this year, instead of having them "Come" to me.
Welcome to the Nevada "Mud Flats" boards.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby towgunner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 am

:thumbsup: We'll give them a place to stay boys! The 4" of rain we got Sunday turned the fairway behind my house into the largest water hazard in Vegas... The only playable parts of the hole were the tee and the green, The tail end of the fairway was almost 10ft deep. :huh: Who designs these things? Pic was "too big" for attachment here but if you have an acct, I put it on the other one.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... ost9826982
towgunner
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting