carson river?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

carson river?

Postby cshunter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:35 am

has anyone ever hunted the carson river for ducks? i was thinking of going tomorrow to scout it out but have no idea where to even begin. anything i should know? where to look? where its legal to hunt. any info would be great!!!
cshunter
hunter

Re: carson river?

Postby Sloppyquack » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:07 pm

What part of the Carson we talking about? I grew up in Gardnerville hunting the Carson but haven't been back in like 13 years. I may be of some help though
Sloppyquack
hunter

Postby cshunter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:46 pm

not really sure never been so dont know where to start looking
cshunter
hunter

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:28 pm

No water
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Silent is right unfortunately. Little water and too many houses, parks, private property, etc. Etc.
Back 15-20 years ago, it was awesome to hunt when things froze up.
Still places to hunt, but not many. Need more water and less congestion.
Good luck
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby Sloppyquack » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 am

No water?? I haven't been back in over 10 yrs but it looks like there's water looking at google earth. We used to shoot a lot of ducks on the opener behind the high school (too many houses now) and in the stretch off Muller lane. Stay below the high water line. After the opener they won't be on the river much until it freezes.
Sloppyquack
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Hey SloppyQuack unless you pay for google earth those pictures are updated regularly. CS ten years ago the Carson was good off Muller is surrounded by private property and the nature conserve you will spend more time dealing with cops and game wardens then hunting. I know there is acces outside of the valley to hunt. To get into the river there you have to pretty much jump off the bridge or you are trespassing to get in. I do think you can get in on 395 before Johnson Lane heading sourh.
fishonzac
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:12 pm

I drove over Cradlebaugh bridge between Carson and G-ville. Water... I guess enough to show up on google earth, but it's not much. Head East of town on hwy 50 and the river is dry. Lots of quad tracks where water use to be.
Good luck
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby Sloppyquack » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 am

I've shot ducks and geese around cradlebaugh. Once shooting starts on the opener they look for open water and that is often on the river. It was always my backup spot when we didn't have a place to go. Sad to hear of the lack of water though. Some of my best memories with my father and friends came from the Carson
Sloppyquack
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting