Brant

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Brant

Postby untamed1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:13 pm

I was just re-reading the regs and I noticed that we can take 3 brant a day. My question is, has anyone ever shot a brant in the northwest part I the state and if so how often does it happen? Just curious is all.

Tim
Tim Brady
untamed1
hunter

Re: Brant

Postby Albifrons » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:44 pm

It happens.

Its also a technicality. Because the regulations for "dark geese" were dropped this year and replaced with seperate regs for Canada geese and white-fronted geese, there needed to be something which would cover the accidental harvest of other goose species. All states in the Pacific flyway went through this for this season. In OR/WA, they have now lost the ability to shoot emperor geese as no one was going to set up an emperor goose season (there isn't one in Alaska even).
Albifrons
hunter

Postby amink » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Is it 3 Brant AND 3 Canada? Or combined? It says Canada and Brant 3/9. Just want to be sure just in case.
amink
hunter

Postby towgunner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:39 am

you'll need that 3 brant like you'll need 6 specks.. :lol3:
towgunner
hunter

Postby untamed1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks for the info. I don't really expect to ever shoot one here, was just curious if anyone ever had.
Tim Brady
untamed1
hunter

Postby Albifrons » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 am

Yes, it is an aggregate therefore the use of "and".

Towgunner, you seem always so down about the potential of shooting 6 white-fronts. Should the snow goose limit be dropped too as 20 is high goal? Given this logic, maybe drop the duck bag to the 3, since the average duck bag is 2.75/day?
Albifrons
hunter

Postby amink » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:58 pm

I don't anticipate shooting a Brandt but I didn't think I'd shoot a surf scoter at at Washoe Lake either. Weird things can happen! :thumbsup:
amink
hunter

Postby Albifrons » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:36 pm

There were 4 brant in Fallon all summer this year.
Albifrons
hunter

Postby towgunner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 pm

Well I got the opinion from the state attorney generals office on the open meeting law complaint I filed regarding the presentation of the dark goose regulation changes. The information from the Fed hadn't been released until the meeting was already in session therefore the supporting documentation wasn't available when the meeting started on the 2nd....well, the NDOW attorney communicated to the investigator that the state of Nevada can set regulation whenever they like for waterfowl, and are not bound by the release of the framework to do so. They do have to conform limits or season dates after the framework is released if it's more restrictive however. (like they did in sept for youth hunt) It's nice to know that they don't have to run the changes by the public nor did one single CAB rep stop them to say "Hey, we may like to get some input on this at our level." we don't even meet the framework limits for petes sake. CA allows 6 dark geese and Idaho bumped canadas to 4 as did Oregon and Washington , it's more of a courtesy to let us speak in Nevada at this point.... I'll need to pony up some campaign contributions to get me one of those appointments or maybe be an extremely squeaky wheel, I've noticed CAB members and commissioners aren't fond of articulate sportsman dissenters. So I'm sorry if it comes off the way you saw it Chris but you have to admit, the way it went down was crap. They kept the goose changes to themselves until regulation vote, that's garbage. :mad: :help:
towgunner
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Albifrons wrote:There were 4 brant in Fallon all summer this year.

Really ? This is awesome. They are out of there eliment in Fallon, but still awesome. :thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Shot these yesterday
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby overton buster » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Wow real cool what part of Nevada did you get them at??? lol :lol3:
overton buster
hunter

Postby Moose14 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Those brant are awesome. Bucket list bird of mine for sure.
Wader Up
Moose14
hunter

Postby danm223 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:03 am

you want brant go to NJ they are everywhere and easy to kill you could kill a black duck for your bucket list no prob either.
danm223
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:49 am

Shot those off the sea coast here in NH. Not in NV, lol.
I ran into a bunch of guys from Nevada this oct in Saskatchewan so I have been popping into check on the NV forum every so often.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby overton buster » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 am

Yeah I didn't think so...But I have seen a flight of brants here about 15 years ago and not one since.. I would like to get one for the wall some day.... Nice birds :thumbsup:
overton buster
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting