Im looking for a Wirehair or Griff puppy

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Im looking for a Wirehair or Griff puppy

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Hey everyone. I am actively looking for a new hunting partner. I'm out of the Boise area now but willing to drive to find a puppy. I am hoping to find a 8 week oldish pup around Christmas/New Year time.

Thanks.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Re: Im looking for a Wirehair or Griff puppy

Postby one8sevenn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:16 pm

I got my little GWP in October, from a breeder on this website http://www.gundogbreeders.com/viewClassifieds.html?breed=german-wirehaired-pointer&submit=SEARCH&state=0

They are great dogs.
Just scaring ducks with high velocity steel BB's
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby birdhunter3126 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:32 am

Robbie its about time you get a bearded pup! hope you find one. I know theres a breeder somewhere in Idaho that has a good line of dogs
Its raining ducks
birdhunter3126
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Get a pudelpointer from Bob Farris. Hes in your state.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Hummm. Not the first time I have heard about the poodle pointer. Also not the first time I have heard of Bob Farris. You have one? hunted over one? Im looking for a upland dog and waterfowl dog in one which led me too the wirehair and Griffs. I guess I need to look at those.

BirdHunter: priorities man. that lousy setter of mine is only good at sleeping.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby birdhunter3126 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 am

Haha you gotta give him a little credit how is the old ruger?
Its raining ducks
birdhunter3126
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:55 am

Yes I own one. 2 yrs old awesome dog. Bob Farris is an awesome breeder but I don't have one of his. Just makes sense to check him out. Cedarwood
dieselduck
hunter

Postby loner » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:00 pm

try Stealthpoint kennels in Meeteese Wyoming, tell Bo Allen that Nick sent you!
this is what he produces
loner
hunter

Postby NVgreenhead » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:32 am

I'll throw my two pennies in. I own a PP and she is a good all around dog. Good at everything, not great at any one thing. She went through her NAVHDA testing and did great. She was from a breeder in CA who started up a kennel with a dog or dogs from Mark Westerland in Bridgeport CA. I say good and not great and it probably has to do with her training or lack there of. Once she got the hang of hunting it was all real time scenarios and not much training in between. A very likable and easy dog to be around and hint with. She has been to Saskatchewan duck hunting as well as chukar in NV and pheasants in the mid west. All around good dog. Her only downfall is very cold conditions and duck hunting in water. Negative 5 last year chukar hunting, no problem! 10 degrees wind blowing retrieving ducks in water, not the best. And yes I tried it with and without a vest. Other than that she has been a good dog.
NVgreenhead
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:13 am

Birdhunter: Things are good. Ruger is a good dog. Cant expect a non bird dog to actually do anything but love. Been killing the birds?

NVGreen: I am really interested in the breed, only problem is they are harder to find than griffs or wirehairs.

Loner: That exactly what I'm looking for! Beautiful dog. Now I need to find a puppies born around Christmas/Januaryish, and not costing $1100 a puppy.

Who knew it would be this much work???
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby birdhunter3126 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:14 am

I've only been out twice this season. Lack of water has me pretty upset so I've been focusing on my emt class... Ya I decided on a change of career paths and it's going much better. How about you been getting your fair share? I know there's a good breeder in Idaho for gwp. A biologist I worked with got two of his pups from them. I'll see if I can find a name.
Its raining ducks
birdhunter3126
hunter

Postby 400bullelk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 am

I have bought two Deutsch-Drahthaars from Paul Trout, Vom Orion Drahthaars, he is out of Cauldwell Idaho. I would check them out before buying a Wire Hair. If you are wanting a pointing dog that will retrieve, they are good. If you are a waterfowler, that occasionally hunts upland. I would get a lab. I only have one Draht now, and own a lab, and it seems like the lab goes with me 90% of the time. When its cold, or your hunting thick stuff, the lab just marks better. Easier to train to cast, and my lab is a great pheasant dog.
Attachments
banded mallard.jpg
pheasants.jpg
400bullelk
Newb

Postby NVgreenhead » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:57 am

The Pudelpointers are harder to find and I think you would be extremely lucky to find one without waiting. I found a breeder put down a deposit and waited 6 months! I know there is a waiting list for Paul's dogs. I looked at the DD's before deciding on the Pudelpointer and Paul's waiting time was about a year. His dogs are very sought after.

I have to agree with the lab, although I waterfowl hunt over a Chesapeake. They are made to handle the water and the cold much better than a versatile breed. My Chessie will also retrieve anything without a force break, as I am sure labs will do as well. If you primarily hunt waterfowl then go with a lab. Labs are great dogs at hunting almost anything. Just be sure to haul water when hunting upland. If you are still set on a WH, or PP, or DD then I would suggest looking for a local NAVHDA chapter and start asking.

Good luck.
NVgreenhead
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:19 am

I hunt ducks a lot. I love upland hunting too. I cant really say I will predominately hunt one over the other. In a perfect world I would have a lab and pointer of some kind. I already have a dog and I'm not really wanting 3 dogs, hence the need for a dog that can adequately do both. I love labs, but they cant hold a point on chukars 300 yards away until I hoof up there.

Can someone please explain the difference between a German Wirehair Pointer and a Duetch Drathaar? DD literal translation is German Wirehair. Different breeding standards? NAVHDA has the same standards I think. I have been told they are the same, I have heard they are different? Either way a DD is just as hard to find as a Pudelpointer.

I will be looking for the NAVDHA chapter in my area.

Thanks for the info guys.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby birdhunter3126 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:26 am

Dd is just the German blood line. Different standards.
Its raining ducks
birdhunter3126
hunter

Postby NVgreenhead » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 pm

One plus I forgot to mention with regards to the Pudelpointer. They never shed.
NVgreenhead
hunter

Postby ShockTroopT » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Here is my pudelpointer. He is only 6 months but loves the water and super birdy...

ShockTroopT
Newb

Postby NVgreenhead » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Awesome looking pup!
NVgreenhead
hunter

Postby brushrat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:16 pm

My pp is 2 now and I have absolutely no regrets. Chucker, quail ducks hot cold.
He's the man... Try Mark @ dreamworkgundogs. In CA great guy
brushrat
Newb

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:20 am

I have officially expanded my search to a GWP or Griff or PP. Thanks everyone. And great looking dogs!
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby ShockTroopT » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:24 am

brushrat wrote:My pp is 2 now and I have absolutely no regrets. Chucker, quail ducks hot cold.
He's the man... Try Mark @ dreamworkgundogs. In CA great guy

^^^^^^this!

I got my PP from Scott at Rock Creek Kennels in MN but have met Mark and he has some great dogs he is also very involved in NAVHDA.
ShockTroopT
Newb

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting