New hunter Want to learn

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

New hunter Want to learn

Postby 07yzryder » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi guys, im new to vegas and duck hunting. I have been dove quial and chuckar hunting in the past but after learning there are ducks in the area i figure i would test the waters and get some knolwedge about it.

I have been reading and noticed that a noob can ruin the day for all the other hunters if they arent smart about taking their shots so i wanted to get a bit of info before heading out. On that note, what is the distance they would need to be before my shots are effective? I know i wont take shots that are extremely long but i know with dove i can take 50 - 60 yard shots sometimes with effect (ducks being bigger im guessing that may be pushing it)

What gear is essential to a successful hunt? I have camo waders and a mossberg 835 (would like suggestions on shot size and chokes). As far as decoys and calls go im familiar with the technique to blow on calls from coyote hunting but would obviously need to learn patterns for the call, which calls and decoys would be suggested for hunting overton?

Thanks in advance.
Robert
07yzryder
hunter

Re: New hunter Want to learn

Postby Tyrtruion » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:28 am

50-60 Yds works fine with lead...
But you have to use a non toxic. If you're rich, get some kent tungsten matrix. If you're in the "ain't rich" category get some cheap Winchester super X hv steel. I use 3" 1.25oz #3 shot with a light modified choke.
I try to not shoot anything past 40 Yds and I pace off a decoy that far to use as a range finder.
My first year I didn't even take a call
My second year I didn't ever blow it

Best way to learn is to get out there and do it. Good luck :thumbsup:
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:37 pm

1. Give people lots of room and be courteous most duck hunters are great people
2. Give yourself ample room for errors in setting up and scout scout scout don't expect to show up 30 mins before shooting time and try and get setup and not piss someone off if your around them.
3. Don't see how far you can shoot a duck see how close you can get them to come in decoying ducks is a rush and well worth the effort and patience
4. In the off season go out and actually listen to waterfowl talking and learn the language
5. Pack in more than you pack out I will say some waterfowlers are pigs and leave so much trash behind it is sickening
6. If you put in the effort you will be rewarded more consistently than not alot of effort
7. Any questions I would love to try and asnswer for you and if I can't I know people that can

Good lucK and go put one down :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby 07yzryder » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks for the tips. Ill prob start watching youtube on calls and see if i cant get some down. As far as pigs, i shoot alot and always try to pack out more then i pack in.

It pretty much sounds like i need to get out and go huntin. Great tip on the. Yard decoy to know range especially for a noob like me.

Thanks again
Robert
07yzryder
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Another big thing lots of the old guys on here say is that if you are where the ducks want to be, theres no need for a call. The most important thing to have a successful hunt is scouting. Cant say it enough. Take some optics with you everywhere you go. Save an afternoon just to go around where you want to hunt and sit and watch birds. It wont take long to figure out where they tend to fly, land and stay away from . This will help you set up a gameplan for an upcoming hunt. good luck!!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby 07yzryder » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:28 pm

typically id scout like crazy but unfortunately Overton is luck of the draw. If im understanding it correctly you get your name on the reservation then on hunt day they draw numbers and that's the order in which you select stands. Which means the first times the scoutin trip lol.
07yzryder
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:19 pm

ahh gotcha. that kinda sucks!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby 07yzryder » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Curious if anyone knows if the area around the virgin river just south of mesquite is any good? Might try and do some scouting/pred hunting out that way.

thanks
Robert
07yzryder
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting