Ice defeat

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Ice defeat

Postby untamed1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Tried this out last weekend at Stillwater. I feel as though it would work if there had been any birds out there. What do you guys do when the freeze happens to get the birds?ImageImage
Tim Brady
untamed1
hunter

Re: Ice defeat

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Thats interesting, bet it could work. Other popular methods are black tarps or cutting holes with chainsaws.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:29 pm

You need open water.............

At the open water there will be lots of ducks...................they keep it open.
so you need lots of decoys. Lots of movement and lots of noise.

No time to go small.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby untamed1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Look I'm making small talk, just trying to open up the forum during this slow time. I understand the dynamics of how to hunt this time of year. Every now and again when you take a chance you are rewarded. I mostly wanted to hear what everyone does when the ice locks up not for my edification but so that we can share the knowledge across the board.
Tim Brady
untamed1
hunter

Postby amink » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:53 pm

We move to the river, though if you can bust the ice big enough, you can have a good day. It's just tough when it's been locked up this long. The birds don't hang around waiting for it to thaw. I was always surprised that the ditches at Stillwater didn't hold more birds when the ponds started freezing up.

The other option is go chukar hunting. :yes:
amink
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:49 am

OK, let's discuss! :biggrin:
When everything is froze up, I drive for hours to open water where birds are, or I go work in the shop.
Back in my early years of duck hunting , I sat over blow holes in the ice all day. Most birds were gone at this point, but i did it anyway. I suppose I thought it was fun freezing my rear end off back then!! :lol:
Ya All have fun out there on the ice and good luck! 13 degrees in Washoe this morning.They built a heck of a nice hockey rink out there. Bring your blades and leave the boom sticks at home!
I did see a Snow goose fly over the lake the other day...well, it turned out to be a fat seagull :hammer:
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby creationchris » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:55 am

untamed1 wrote:Look I'm making small talk, just trying to open up the forum during this slow time. I understand the dynamics of how to hunt this time of year. Every now and again when you take a chance you are rewarded. I mostly wanted to hear what everyone does when the ice locks up not for my edification but so that we can share the knowledge across the board.

Plain and simple- When it freezes this hard, the ducks leave. I head to the sac valley where they all are this time of year.
creationchris
hunter

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm

creationchris wrote:
untamed1 wrote:Look I'm making small talk, just trying to open up the forum during this slow time. I understand the dynamics of how to hunt this time of year. Every now and again when you take a chance you are rewarded. I mostly wanted to hear what everyone does when the ice locks up not for my edification but so that we can share the knowledge across the board.

Plain and simple- When it freezes this hard, the ducks leave. I head to the sac valley where they all are this time of year.

Echo what Chris said......
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
Nevada Waterfowl Association Member
National Rifle Assocation Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:02 am

Small talk is good............

Yes it is slow this year............

I am already looking towards next year........... I hate busting ice...... never did the river, no dog.
Well no dog that will retrieve ducks !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Yard Goose » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:26 am

Hot Springs is how we deal with it in the Carson valley or the Oat Fields.. :thumbsup: I want to kill ducks.. :mad: But Geese is all I have connected with.. Some Big Mallards would make the rest of the Season for the Wife and I...
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby Moose14 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:42 pm

You're idea doesn't look too bad. I've tried the blue/black tarps with my cousin a couple of times but with little success. I've been out to mason a few times in the last couple weeks and it's been locked up fairly well. There's a few open spots but the birds aren't interested. Saw a flock of about 80-100 after shooting hour flying around the fields.

This hard freeze and full moon lately isn't helping any. I'm hoping it thaws out a bit before the migration hits our area and some weather comes in too to get these birds active.
Wader Up
Moose14
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting