New to Duck Hunting- Want to check out Key Pittman

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

New to Duck Hunting- Want to check out Key Pittman

Postby ibskibum » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:18 am

Hi everyone,my wife and I are new to duck hunting. We hunted for the first time at Overton back in November and didn't get anything. We want to check out Key Pittman this weekend and we're wondering if anyone has any tips they would be willing to share as far as locations go. I have heard there is an island somewhere that we can get to with waders but can't find any more info than that. Also, are there blinds already built out there or are we on our own for cover? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris.
ibskibum
hunter

Re: New to Duck Hunting- Want to check out Key Pittman

Postby cbrauly » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 am

Your best bet is to scout it out in the day light before setting up in the dark your first time there. There is/were blinds there I help put last year. There are also lots of natural hides in the reeds along the water. I've only hunted there a couple times, so I don't know much more than that. Good luck.
cbrauly
hunter

Re: New to Duck Hunting- Want to check out Key Pittman

Postby Sloppyquack » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:15 pm

I agree that scouting the day before is key. We hunted there last week and shot two limits The key was the homework we did the day before. We got there Friday afternoon, used binoculars from the opposite side of the lake to see where the birds wanted to be, then set up in the dark Friday night. This tip might be helpful for this late in the season: The birds are kind of gun shy. They have been shot at a lot, particularly on the refuges, from the tule line. We as hunters obviously flock there because that is the best/easiest cover to hide in, but gun-shy ducks, and particularly puddle ducks will want to be in wide-open, shallow places. I built a portable blind out of pvc, burlap and army camo mesh. We fortified it heavily with tules the night before and put it right in the middle of a bare shoreline that had some taller grass. I think the ducks wanted to be there because there is no cover for predators (hunters) to sneak up on them. The blind stood out like a sore thumb to hunters but the ducks seemed oblivious. Lay out blinds would have been better but we had two kids we wanted to hide as well. Good luck!
Sloppyquack
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting