Duck Hunting Forum banner

Canvasback Gun Club ??

11K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Smackenemhard20 
#1 ·
I was watchin the outdoor channel today and heard about the canvasback gun club and didnt know if yall boys knew what this was about!

Im not wanting to join.....just curious!

Thanks

#5 ·
Them rich city boys get to have all the fun!!

but id rather do it on my own than pay 20 grand for a club ....but if i win the lottery, im going to buy every piece of wetlands and only poor folks can come hunt..... FOR FREE!!!!!! if you drive a Escalade to the club or have all the PREMIUM equipment, YOUR NOT ALLOWED

#6 ·
Well, I have to admit that having a nice warm bed, locker for your gear,boots & shells, a kennel for your dog, hot shower and a large area to have breakfast before going out is pretty nice.

When they ask you what you want for breakfast, if you want a lunch or are coming in at noon and finally what you want for dinner, is pretty hard to live with ?? :yes: :yes: :yes:

Wounder if they still have the duck plucking machine ??

You could be right, it might not be worth the money.

#9 ·
The owner of the Ad Agency I worked for had me do thier logo and newsletter every month for free. They have homes/cabins out there and put in a lot of extra weekend improvement type stuff around the ponds. They have a lot of restrictions I have read while working on the newsletter every month as far as ATV use, which ponds are open and can be hunted, complaints about speeding through the club and other crap like that. There is so much money out there, they even have there own classified ads in the newsletter to sell memberships and cabins. 100% good ol' boys club. He still owes me a free hunt out there, I will post if it ever happens. www.stillwaterfarms.com is the address.

IB

#13 ·
I know this is a really old post, but I hunted here a few times as a kid with my grandpa and thought I'd put in my two cents.

This is definitely an old boys club, but I don't know about the no ******** thing. Unless by ******** you mean poor folks. There were certainly a lot of ******** there, they just tended to be lawyers and doctors and business owners. Largely it was older people, but a lot of them would bring their kids/grandkids out too. I remember one of the full timers (there were only a few in the years I hunted out there) worked out of Hollywood and had a house full of memorabilia from movies - he had a jeep from one of the Arnold Swarzenegger movies and a bunch of pictures and whatnot. As a kid that was beyond cool. A lot of them were die hard hunters too - one guy had a house just full to the gills with trophies from Alaska/Africa hunts - lions, tigers, bears (even a polar bear!), cape buffalo, elephant tusks, just everything a young hunter dreams about until they learn about money.

The rest of the folks had small cabins (mostly mobile homes) that they'd come out just before the season started and get them livable. Pretty much everyone had a garage with boats and equipment they stored year round.

As for the rules, there were a lot, but they seemed to me to be lightly enforced. I got yelled at a few times for zipping around the "camp" on a motorcycle too fast, but was told it had more to do with the hour and much less to do with the speed (zipping around on a motorcycle at 5am a few days before the season opened).

This was in the mid-90s so I'm guessing things might have changed a lot since then, but I don't remember ever seeing a club that sold food/drinks like at a country club. There was a central dining hall area where they held meetings/lotteries. The day before the start of the season they'd do a really big cook out for everyone - cornish game hens (which started my love affair with those), steaks, the works. Lots of beer and scotch. Very communal, very fun.

I don't remember if it was daily or weekly, but they had a lottery for the maintained blinds out on the water. Everyone would get together and take a number and then they'd do a lottery for either blinds or the numbers would match up with the blinds. I honestly can't remember how it worked (I seem to remember it changed depending on how many were hunting that day/weekend). When you got your blind, you jumped in the boat (I admit they had some of the nicest launches I've ever seen) and headed out to your blind with your thermos of coffee/scotch.

They had a really nice shooting range too, with trap/skeet (of course). Pre-season and after coming off the water, it wasn't uncommon to find people down there practicing with their shotguns, and shooting over exotic rifles. Not surprisingly, the members tended to have amazing shotguns, and some other really expensive, exotic long rifles. As a young man they were all happy to let me play with them, which only entrenched my love of shooting.

Granted my grandpa was a doctor and had quite a bit of money, but the $25k/year for membership seems a little extreme. If he was still alive I'd ask him, but he's not. From what I know of him, and how much he actually hunted there in a season, I can't imagine he'd spend that much a year on a membership. Then again, I know when he was younger he used to go out there a lot more and he might have just kept his membership up as a matter of course.

All in all, it was a pretty wonderful place. The people were very nice and very helpful, more so than most hunters I've encountered in the wild. People came together to help each other - someone's boat motor crapped out, someone else would come over and put their spare on the boat so everyone could get out in the morning. Some of my favorite hunting memories as a young man were there, even though I never got that many ducks/geese (they had an area for geese hunting in season).

#14 ·
I was out there once for the Greenwing gathering for kids. As I recall, it's a mishmash of barely standing shanties up to pretty nice houses. There's a big clubhouse. I didn't hunt but the folks were really nice and gave the kids rides out into the ponds. I don't know if the hunting there is really any better than the Stillwater ponds. For that kind of scratch I'd want to shoot a limit every day.

#16 ·
I have a membership that my grandpa has had his whole life and we just bought a mother one everyone is really nice and we are guaranteed water on bad winters. If you are a decent shot and get a decent blind. It's nice most of the people down there have had their membership their whole life so they didn't buy it and there's only about 150 memberships so they are hard to get. It's just a nice place to go kill some ducks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.