New To Duck Hunting in Northern Nevada

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

New To Duck Hunting in Northern Nevada

Postby Wolfpack09 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi everyone. :hi: I've lived in Northwest Nevada (Carson/Reno) for a while. I went to UNR and have done a little big game hunting, but I really have wanted to try and get into duck hunting. A few years back I went out to Honkers out in Fallon with a buddy and got a few ducks. Unfortunately he moved, and none of my other friends are all that much into hunting.

I've been reading up as much as possible on the subject, and have the basics, but nothing fancy (gun, waders, clothes, ordered some cheap decoys). I'm really looking into at the very least some insight on opinions for hunting the local WMAs (Washoe Valley, Fernley, Mason, Humboldt, Stillwater, and Alkali Lake). Any recommendations for a beginner? I don't have the $$$ for a boat, so I'd be doing everything on foot.

If there is anyone else out there who hunts solo out there and is looking for another hunter to go out with in the fall, let me know. We could chat and possibly grab some beers if I don't think you're too much of an :censored: hahaha but seriously....

:beer:
Wolfpack09
hunter

Re: New To Duck Hunting in Northern Nevada

Postby huntfishnv » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:20 pm

with the lack of snowpack this year finding water will be the biggest thing on the WMA's- some of them don't even hold water on the good years.

Best advice I can think of for now, find some water and there will be a few ducks flying around, don't call too much, and make sure you are hidden!
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Wolfpack09 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:41 am

Thank you for the advice, HuntFishNV. My buddy I went out with a few years ago did all the calling. He said to "let the professionals do it" until I practiced a good amount and got decent. Even then he said less is more.

At least now there's youtube to help with practice calling.
Wolfpack09
hunter

Postby amink » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:58 pm

It's going to be a pass/jump shooting kind of year. Go light and prepare to walk. :crying:
amink
hunter

Postby Wolfpack09 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:36 pm

I guess only time will tell, but in past, wetter years, are there any WMAs not worth even looking at? I can't imagine the Fernley WMA being all that great.
Wolfpack09
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:15 am

Wolfpack09 wrote:I guess only time will tell, but in past, wetter years, are there any WMAs not worth even looking at? I can't imagine the Fernley WMA being all that great.

Fernley, Alkali, Toulon. For the most part- unless theres a few wet winters in a row.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Wolfpack09 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:24 am

FishHuntNV wrote:Fernley, Alkali, Toulon. For the most part- unless theres a few wet winters in a row.

Thank you for the info. I will probably take a trip one weekend to the different WMAs a little before the season and see how I like the look of them.
Last edited by Wolfpack09 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfpack09
hunter

Postby Pinny1995 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Send me a PM always looking for new people to hunt with.
Pinny1995
hunter

Postby Wolfpack09 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:57 am

Pinny1995 wrote:Send me a PM always looking for new people to hunt with.

PM sent
Wolfpack09
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting