Nevada Hunting?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Nevada Hunting?

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 01, 2005 9:39 pm

If you guys hunt over there in Nevada, You shure don't talk about it. :smile: Anyways I was driving down 395 couple wks ago and south of Carson City I noticed a lot of marshy area, Due to snow melt off i assume. I also saw a lot of geese and ducks feeding. Wouldn't mind making a 4 hr + drive from the bay area and do some Nevada huntin. Is there a refuge or some place someone can recomend to me. I would like to research it a little bit. maybe make a trip out before the season starts.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby DROPDUX » Mon May 02, 2005 10:08 am

You were driving through carson valley to minden and gardnerville. I grew up there. Duck hunting is slow in the valley--really there is not much marsh land. The valley does see its fair amount of geese though. The marsh land you are talking about is probably the carson river. I have friends that just walk the river to shoot geese--pretty good I hear due to all the fields around the river. Not really worth four hours of driving though.

We actually do our duck huntin near fallon 70 miles east of carson. Stillwater NWR. Another good one that is a bit closer is near Yerington--Mason Vally WMA. We have a friend from SF who does a good amount of hunting with us in fallon. probably takes him 5 hours to get there.

I am thinking that I'm the only Nevadan on the site. Not very much fun to talk about duckin to myself. Anyways My brother lives in Napa he is always lookin for a good place to hunt (and people to hunt with for that matter)
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Factory6 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:03 pm

Hey dropdux...i live in Reno and have hunted quail, chukar, dove, and deer every year but i have never tried duck hunting before...i looked at that stillwater nwr and it looks like a great place to go for my first time! What all do i need though and how does it work to go there? like do i have to sign in anywhere or can i just drive there and hop out of my truck and start hunting? also, will i need a raft? and what is the best method to go about hunting ducks there...like is walking better or staying put in one spot better?

Thanks
Factory6
Newb

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:37 am

Factory 6,

Stillwater is probably the best marsh in the north--One of the largest and well kept. They are working on filling more of the dried up lakes. For the last 8-9 years we have been walking into our blinds about 1/4 - 1/2 mile because of lack of water. This year there is much more water brought in from pyramid area--and we should do some boat hunting.

It's an easy place to hunt: just hop out the truck--no signing in or reservation required. You should get a map and scout it out one or two times to get familiar with the roads. Talk to the rangers or the refuge officers while your there. They hunt and can give you some good tips on where to go. possibly show you.

You don't need a raft, but not having one limits you on where you can hunt. My group hunted one area for the last 5-6 years we only walked. it was about 2 feet deep--the whole pond. Definately have chest waders. Right now I have no idea how much water is there (I have heard there will be a lot more than last year). that is why you should visit and speak with a ranger. We will likely go beginning of sept.

You absolutely do not want to walk the refuge to hunt. Decoy shooting mostly. Most Waterfowling regs apply. Hope this helps

Dropdux.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Factory6 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:55 am

Thanks for answerin all my questions! ill be goin for sure this fall...is the upland game hunting any good at stillwater nwr?
Factory6
Newb

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:05 am

I don't know about upland. I do know that you would have to use steel shot. I know there's a lot of coyotes that I would love to shoot, but its shotguns only.

It's hard to hunt doved in northern NV because it gets cold too early and the dove's leave around the beginning of sept. But quail are everywhere. you could take 80 east about 5-10 miles out of sparks and go quail and rabbit hunting. But yes in and around fallon, on blm land, upland hunting is good.

Anyway, where in reno do you live? how long have you lived there? What's your age?
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:45 pm

:getdown: Hay guys; now there are 3 of us that hunt in Nev. Does that make us the 3 musketteirs? Ha Ha.. Yup, Stillwater was good last year, however the mud in Rice was a LOT deeper than normal. If the water is managed like last year we should be sitting pretty!! I just hope the flood waters of the Humbolt didn't mess things up this year. Now if we can get those other guys to let the birds "work" we can all get limits 3 hours sooner!! Later...Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting