Duck Hunting Forum banner

Goose Silhouettes

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Old Duck Getter 
#1 ·
I've had a few guys ask for pictures of how I make my goose silhouettes. I made 7 sets of three yesterday so here are a few pictures. These will set up on land or they will float in water. Each three decoy set weighs about 1 pound. I have a large snow sled that I can put 20 sets in this sled and pull to where I'm going to set up.
This picture shows a 1/8" sheet of Masonite with patterns layed out for cutting.

This picture shows me rough cutting each decoy.

This picture is finishing the cuts on the scrol saw.

This picture is a decoy painted.

This picture show the legs. I use 1"X2" furring strips. I cut one leg at 30" and two legs at 26". To each of these I glue and screw a 7" piece on one end for the decoy leg.

This picture is each leg painted. You can paint to match the ground you'll be hunting most.

This picture show a set of three folded up. I take a 4"x4" piece of 1/2" plywood and screw and glue the 30" leg to it. In two corners of the plywood I drill a 1/4" hole. Then I take a 2 1/2"X 1/4" bolt with a washer and push through the hole from the bottom. Then take the two 26" long legs and drill a 1/4 " hole 1" from the end without the leg. Take these legs and put onto the bolts. Take a washer and a Nylock nut and tighten so there is pressure when you try to turn legs out.
[img]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/homer_059/007.jpg
This picture show the set folded out.

Like I said, you can set these up on land or in the water. I take every third set and make each decoy face out. All the rest face the same direction. Every forth set I add a heads up decoy. For years these were the only type of goose decoys I used. For around $50.00 you can make 20 of these sets. It took me about 20 hours to make 20 sets. You can do all this with minimal tools.

Hope this is understandable and helpful.

old duck.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks a TON!!!! I have been wondering how to make them for quite some time now. I would think its cheaper to do it this way than to go out and buy 10 dozen full bodies or shells! Plus those look great! Good job!

#5 ·
OK Blindhunter, by now they all think I can't hit any birds. :no: It's just geese up close. My pattern isn't very big at 15 feet. :rofl: :rofl:

So next season we'll keep a shell count. :thumbsup: As far as the auto thing, for me the third shell is just a waste :yes: and the way you shoot it is too! :rofl: :rofl:

old duck

#6 ·
Hey dude nice write up.
I haven't had a chance to hunt here in NV yet but I have spent some hunt time in Or. and N. Cali (on the or/cal border) and when I tried using silhouettes or 'texas rags' I could here the geese laughing at me as they flared and took off. Do they work down here?, judging from this post they do because you're still making em, (i've never made fancy ones like the ones you did). Any way thanks for the info and every day I am at work and see them durned birds flying way up high makes my belly grumbles. LOL.

thanks,
Dan

#10 ·
David, I thank you for your kind words. It has to be this way with me. If I can help I'll do it. We have too many people trying to take what we love to do, away from us. If we have someone that needs some help, we need to step up. We need to take the new and young hunters under our wing and guide them if we can.

old duck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.