Duck Hunting Forum banner

Duck Hunting Nevada

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DuckZilla 
#1 ·
I grew up hunting in the heart of the Miss. flyway in Missouri and I have been used to killing a ton of ducks. I am currently living in Las Vegas, NV and the only ducks I see are the ones the old farts are feeding in Desert Shores or the occasional pairs jumping from golf course to golf course. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could direct me to some decent duck hunting within 2 or 3 hours from Vegas. I have never hunted public lands either so if there are any pointers for me they would be appreciated. Thank you

Michael Snowden

#3 ·
Try posting in the Nevada forum.

#4 ·
Not to look bleak on the forecast but buddy you are in for a rude awakening! Number one there isn't much private land around here, and there are not "tons" of birds to be killed. A good day here is jumpshooting a couple of birds.

With a lot of scouting, TONS of driving, and several days that smell like skunk, You can kill a couple of birds. A lot depends on what the weather does this summer. With enough thunderstorms it could be good.

There are a couple of WMA's and NWR's within 3 1/2 hours drive. The biggest and best is Kirch WMA. It's 3 1/2 hours north on 93. There are several large lakes that have lots of ducks. They leave quickly after the opening weekend barrage but it is good the first weekend and then until it freezes. The next is Paranaget NWR. It is 1 1/2 north on 93, the problem is that there is usually no water in the hunting area, was dry this year. Then there is Overton WMA that is at the end of lake mead. Probably a 45 min drive. They have very funky regs where you have to apply for a blind and then you draw for what blind you get to hunt and then you have to hunt within 50 feet of the blind you draw. . .can be good if you get a good draw, or you get to watch the next blind over pound birds while you twiddle your thumbs if you don't.

Duck hunting here is tough ESP. if you have never battled it out on public land. Good luck!

later, Kelpy

P.S. Look at the bright side. . . every duck will mean more to you than you ever thought possible :rofl:

#8 ·
Good info kelp! Yeah the duck hunting can be hit or miss here. Overton can be pretty good as kelpy pointed out, but you have to get the draw and hit the right spot on the right day. There are lots of birds out there but like said its hit or miss. I've hunted with both kelpy and Dom and they know a thing or 2 about birds down here. Only about 5 1/2 months to go till the season opens. Lets just pray for some storms and LOTS of rain this year!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.