Duck Hunting Forum banner

need some fishing advice

725 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  corky569 
#1 ·
Im thinking of going to 1 of three places this weekend lahontan,churchill pound or mason valley. which would be the best bet to get in to some warm water fish? I do have a boat to use. any advice would help. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
GD,
Churchill Pond is a walk only area. I've had good luck on the South-East levy. Mason Valley has the Bass, Hinkson, Crappie and North Ponds. You can use a boat on them all. They are NO WAKE. All have Bass. Most top water in the morning, plastic worms and grubs later.

Lahontan is starting to put out some large and small mouth bass, white bass and walleye. The water was in the high 40's to low 50's this last week-end. If you have a fish finder look at the North end ( Fallon side ) around the islands that just got covered up. In the Narrows and around Dome Point work the coves. On the Siver Springs side work the East side across from Beach 8 all the way through to the Narrows. I've been doing OK with Spinner baits and worms for bass, trooling for walleye with Rapala's in rainbow and clown patterns, white bass and walleye in the coves with worms under slip bobbers.

Hope this helps.

old duck

#3 ·
Im realy leaning towards lahontan, just becouse ive never got a wiper or a walley how deep do i need to look at to find them and also how is the camping there. how bad does the wind get ive got a 14 v bottom with only a 8 horse I dont realy want to go on a white water trip. any and all info is appricated :thumbsup:

#4 ·
You'll have to adjust to the day for depth. Any where from 5 to 15 feet. With the bobber I set one pole at 8 feet and another a foot or so off the bottom and adjust from there. The camping is good, but bring your own wood. If your going to camp be sure to set up a cat fish rod. You can use chicken liver, worms or shrimp.Your boat will be fine. The wind is usually down in the mornings and comes up in the afternoons. The last few days it has blown hard all day and night. Check the weather report for the week-end or give me a call.

old duck

#5 ·
I just came back from fly fishing Pyramid lake at Pelican Point.

Used a indicatoer and nymphs and had one fish under 16"
2-3 fish under 19" and the biggest at 28 ".

I was hoping for a 30" plus so was sort of bummed out.

Had 4 break offs, 9 tossed the hook and managed to catch and release 29 big Lahontan Cutthroats.

Not bad for a day with barbless hooks which are needed with the
new regulations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.