How many decoys if any?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

How many decoys if any?

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:29 pm

I have used decoys in the Fallon Nev. area with mixed results.
Sometimes 3 doz. decoys work just fine; on other days only 6 bring in the birds. What's up ? :help: Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:27 pm

ive found that it always works best for me if i bring all my decoys which is about 5 dozen, and if i dont need 5 dozen ill break them up into smaller groups to fit more, or keep them in the bag by the trees, however its nice to have some extra decoys on hand for those days when they arnt landing quite where you want them to.
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:29 pm

5 DOZEN DECOYS!!! You are about to give this 61 year old an heart attack!!! I have a heck of a time with all the weight from my shells, sit on bucket, Gun,water,snacks, and 2 doz. decks!! ( I don't have a boat or bike ) The bike is used for going down the dykes where a chain stops all the cars c/o parking lot. I tryed a wheelborrow, but it sucked. The big deck sack I got for Xmas sucked also. It hits you in the calfs when U walk!! Damn, I bitch alot. Later...Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:17 pm

Ed,

I only own 12 decoys, and in the past, at stillwater, i have never had more than 6-8 in front of me. Since I aways walk when I go, I don't see my self taking any more than 12. I am thinking about, though, getting a sneak boat, canoe, or kayak (something lightweight) so I can paddle instead of walk. Oh yeah, your spelling is fine, just don't get out of hand with porfanity--thats all. If you want to be a moderator than just send admin 2 a private message.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Matt K » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:21 pm

When I boat hunted in Wisconsin, we always used around 3 dozen decoys. We threw in a few goose decoys off to one side also. We usually had good luck with this combo. If I were walking in, I'd bring around 1 dozen per person. I don't know if the same numbers would apply to Nevada though.
Matt K
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting