Iced over decoys

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Iced over decoys

Postby Tack in NJ » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:41 am

Any tips on keeping my decoys from icing up? Went out yesterday morning had ducks flaring away from my spread due to iced over decoys. Wha can I do to prevent this?? :help:
Tack in NJ
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:58 pm

What kind of decoys do you use? I wonder what happen if you sprayed them with some de icer?
Mike M.
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:56 am

do not know of course HOW the ice built up......I know that I NEVER throw decoys into the spread, I always PLACE the decoys because I do not want the backs and head getting wet......as for plastics, ice certainly builds up around the body perimeter alot faster than foamers or cork, but that shouldn't really matter......any decoy will get a frosting on those coldest mornings just because the air is colder than the water...not much you can do about that though......placing rather than throwing is the best advise I can offer .....maybe someone else has a 'trick'.....i am a bit leery though of using de-icer.....I would think the shine would be worse and stay forever
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting