Your Opinion - What would you pay for a puppy.

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Your Opinion - What would you pay for a puppy.

Postby Shark Bait » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:44 am

I am interested and really don't want to hi-jack the other post that is trying to sell a litter of puppies. Give me your honest feedback. I promise not to judge, you are entitled to your opinion.

Hypothetical.

Litter A - ($800)
.... Sire: AKC - Master Hunter and UKC - Hunting Retriever Champion
.... Dam: AKC - Senior Hunter
.... Both: OFA Good
.... Dewclaws removed, 1st series of shots, dewormed
.... 2 Year Health Guarantee

Litter B -
.... Parents are proven hunters

I would like your input on Litter B, how much would you pay?
Shark Bait
hunter

Re: Your Opinion - What would you pay for a puppy.

Postby HeritageHunter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:46 am

$300 sounds about what I would pay based on the parents are good hunters. To be honest though I would only buy a dog under those circumstances if I knew both parents extremely well, and even then I would be hesitant.

I have never bought a gun dog, but would expect to pay far more than $800 for a lab from a quality breeder. Minimum $1000. From my very limited knowledge a breeder that runs all the tests, gives all the shots, etc is looking at several hundred dollars in coverhead even before you factor in time, food, and potential lose of one pup to sire's owner(I believe this is typical payment but I could be wrong).
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:55 am

Thats a tough one. I would guess that out here in the middle of no where, our prices are a bit less for everything than what they are in NH.

I got my dog from a DU buddy whose dog I had been around and hunted with. I thought the mother was a good dog. She has some field champs in her back ground. The sire was registered as well, and was known to be an especially good pheasant hunting lab.

She had her shots and seemed to be in very good health. I got the pick of the litter. I paid $250 for her. Knowing what I know now about my dog, I would go back in time and tell myself to pay $1,000 for her, she has exceeded all of my expectations as a hunting dog and as a pet. Shes smart and loyal, has a huge amount of drive and willingness to please me. She was born knowing how to retrieve, how to swim, and with no fear of gun fire. I will also mention that I had her speyed, she wont be a momma.

I GOT LUCKY AS ALL GET OUT!

And I know a lot of that was luck. But I have become a big believer in genetics and instinct. In time she will age and I will get another dog to train as her replacement. At that time, I will do careful research and I will be looking for a good bloodline, a reputable breeder, and a comfort level with that breeder. I would start at $1,000, although you can get a decent pup around $500- $750. I had no idea when I got Brandy how much time I would devote to her training. If I am going to spend that much time with a dog, I want a good one.

I know I got very lucky the first time out.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Shark Bait » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:37 pm

HeritageHunter wrote:...(I believe this is typical payment but I could be wrong).

You are not far off, $800 is on the low range for a reputable breeder, it varies all over the map, the dog I picked up had MH/MH on both parents and was $800 with DNA and Micro Chip, delivery fees not included. I also know that dogs from some of the Field Trial kennels or the english kennels that have 2 year waiting lists do get as much as $1500/puppy.
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby Hevi-D » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 pm

I know how much my lab puppy is gonna cost......the dam is awesome.....the breeder? questionable at best. :lol:
Hevi-D
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Shark Bait wrote: I promise not to judge, you are entitled to your opinion.

To me, titles mean nothing. I want a dog that is a good companion, shares a snack in the duck blind and occasionally goes out and brings back a duck. Don't get me wrong, I think lineage (sic) can be important, but as long as both parents have a clean bill of health, I think that training and upbringing are much more important.

As for price, I bought my recent pup from a friend who bred his bitch. I would say I got a nice deal. So far he has been the best pooch I have ever had the pleasure of training and if told that I had to pay 5 times as much for the dog I currently have, I would easily pay it.

I guess there is a reason why we can choose between a cadillac or a chevy... :beer:
My chevy better get ready for a long tough season...
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:18 pm

I think lineage (sic) can be important, but as long as both parents have a clean bill of health, I think that training and upbringing are much more important.

I could not agree more. When I purchase a dog health is number one priority for me. IMO how a dog is trained is as important as breeding. Great trainers are as much a reason a dog wins a comp as the dog.

There is always risk involved with any investment. If you spend more and get a guarantee from the breeder your overall risk might be reduced but this comes at a higher price. Buy a cheaper dog and you might have problems in the future that will end up costing you more down the line. But if everything works out and the dog has long term good health and performs at a high level the reward is higher.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby Shark Bait » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Ray,

Sorry, was there an answer in that? I kind of missed it.

The question was for an 8 week old puppy that you knew nothing about othan than the information provided you would pay how much for? The question was not how much would you now pay for your lifelong companion that you already have and have trained.

I know how much HD is going to pay, I need a new Ruger Red Label Stainless Steel 12 Gage Over and Under.
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:19 am

Based on the $800 dog, I would say around $400... Based on prices from what I have actually heard/seen... I would get the $800 dog for that price because I have seen dogs with no titles in the lineage go for up to the $800 and be sold out.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Hevi-D » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 am

Shark Bait wrote:I know how much HD is going to pay, I need a new Ruger Red Label Stainless Steel 12 Gage Over and Under.

I was thinkin' more like a 12-pack of Sam's something or other........ :beer:
Hevi-D
hunter

Postby Shark Bait » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:55 am

Hevi-D wrote:I was thinkin' more like a 12-pack of Sam's something or other

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and did I say...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know your just kidding but ...DAMN boy, even my best friend would reallize that the titles I place on my dog, the breeding fees, the vet bills for the pups, the shots, the dewclaws, the hip exrays all cost money. As Heritagehunter so duly pointed out, to do this right and get a quality breeding it does cost $$.

This aint no scruffy looking pointer from Georgia ya know. Just kidding, Nellie is cute, in an ugly sort of way. :hi:
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby Shark Bait » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:05 am

JustinNH wrote:Based on the $800 dog, I would say around $400... Based on prices from what I have actually heard/seen... I would get the $800 dog for that price because I have seen dogs with no titles in the lineage go for up to the $800 and be sold out.

Your answer is probably correct Justin, I have seen the same, I was amazed at how much some people charge and to me it is foolish but there are people out there willing to pay so .. why not? And thus the reason why there are so many "backyard" bread dogs. You can not stop it, it is the American way and as long as someone wants to save a few 100 dollars and someone else wants to make a few 100 dollars this will continue. It is also most likely the reason why so many of the proven dogs go for so much money, I got lucky on mine, even with MH and FC titles on the Sir and Dam I bought mine at $800. Sometimes you get lucky with your purchase, I am sure Ray's hunting buddy gave him a great deal and because Ray was familiar with the female he could presume to get a great puppy. Not all of us are that lucky to know what we are getting through years of hunting over the female.

Anyway, I like this discussion and hope some more people way in. I am very interested in how guys choose their dogs and what criteria they place on their purchase. :thumbsup:
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby Shark Bait » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:21 am

Just some fodder for the discussion. I understand some of us are just hunters and could care less about Titles or Testing. Earlier in the post I mentioned "Hunting Retriever Champion". The following is a video clip of an 11 year old kid running a dog that is not even hers in an HRC Finished level test, other than the grand championships this is as tough as it gets on a dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-I67CIzZTA

The dog is 6 years old.
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 pm

I wouldn't pay $5 for a dog without a guarantee. I know that. For the time alone spent training, you better have something to fall back on if it doesn't work out.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting