Case of shells

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Case of shells

Postby JustinNH » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:59 am

I got my case of shells for this season yesterday. high velocity (1635) Black cloud 3" 3s. Rogers had a case of them for $175 and free shipping... 35 bucks cheaper than Cabelas and free shipping.

I had heard of the place, but never checked it out. Just wanted to pass it along in case any of you buy by the case as well.

Last year I shot Hypersonics. I liked them, but they didn't pattern as well as BC does for me. I noticed a lot less cripples with the hypersonics than with slower shells, which I liked. That's why I am excited to try the faster BC now.

And no, I don't use BC or hypersonic to extend my range. With the exception of two very low flying buffies I shot at about 45yards last year, I generally refrain from shooting ducks over 30/35, even if I know the load can get to them.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: Case of shells

Postby Benny8 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:03 am

I like dealing with Rogers as well. I use Hevi-Metal, and have for the last two seasons. It patterns nice out of my gun.
Benny8
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:51 pm

I used BC for a year. Deadly shells for sure. Pattern nice. My only issue, and its been brought up before, for one reason or another, they just smoke some ducks. I probably ruined half a dozen ducks in the year I shot them. I never noticed a HUGE difference in killing/cripples with Kent so I save myself a few bucks now and stick with them. People thought maybe it had to do with the pellet shape, I disagree, I think sometimes the pellets just stay too close together for some reason.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Copper Dog » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:48 pm

I also think that BC works really well but for a little less money kent works just as well if not better IMO. The wad they use in BC keeps your shot string really tight out to 30 yards or better making it a great long range load but mallards at 10 yards will not fair so well. Justin the BC will be nice in the salt this year I can not wait to get out there again we had a blast.
Copper Dog
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:52 am

Copper Dog wrote:I also think that BC works really well but for a little less money kent works just as well if not better IMO. The wad they use in BC keeps your shot string really tight out to 30 yards or better making it a great long range load but mallards at 10 yards will not fair so well. Justin the BC will be nice in the salt this year I can not wait to get out there again we had a blast.

Oh yeah! I had those days in mind when I bought the case! :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting