Old Shotgun Question

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Old Shotgun Question

Postby HeritageHunter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 pm

I have an old Charles Daly 2 3/4 12ga O/U. My understanding is it is a skeet model and has open chokes. I used my dial caliper and the internal measurement on each barrel was .71 inches. I am not sure how old the gun is. It is a Miroku model and from what I can find about the company was they made Charles Daly's from post WWII to around 1976. They also make the Browing Citori.

I have a few spots where I get close shots and would like to use this gun. My question is what should I use for shells. I cannot find anything definitive about using steel, but I now there are some guys on here that use old guns and wanted to hear what they use for ammo. Thanks.

HH
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Re: Old Shotgun Question

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:40 am

Hevi makes a cartridge called "Classic".....rather expensive (about $26 for 10).....it will be less potent so it's easy on the gun, but also throws an effective pattern.....I've used it in an old 16 successfully
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:57 pm

I'd start with a gunsmith personally.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby capt1972 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:04 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:I'd start with a gunsmith personally.

X2 Also have you posted this in the shotgun forum? A lot of guys over there sound like they know what their talking about. At the very least it should be entertaining!
capt1972
hunter

Postby Hevi-D » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:03 pm

I agree HH......post it on the shotty forum....my guess is you'll be fine with steel.....but those guys will be able to tell you in a second or less.

PS....make sure you fire it a few times before you're next to me in a duck blind this year. :lol:
Hevi-D
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up guys I posted again in the shotgun section.

Hevi-D wrote:I agree HH......post it on the shotty forum....my guess is you'll be fine with steel.....but those guys will be able to tell you in a second or less.

PS....make sure you fire it a few times before you're next to me in a duck blind this year.

Don't worry I will be bringing the 870mag with me when I am in your blind. :hammer:
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby nhshotgunner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:35 am

In the early 90's I shot a Charles Daly 20ga O/U (B.C. Miruko) with 3" #3 and #4 through full and modified with great effect and no issues with the gun. You should have no trouble shooting steel through your gun.

I like old guns, especially Parker side by sides, my everyday crow, duck and goose killer is a 2 7/8" 10ga double built in 1893. just had the barrels refinished this summer.

nhshotgunner
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting