Scouting...

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

Scouting...

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 am

Been out looking for geese in all the places I hunted last season. I am having a rough time finding fields holding birds. I did see 6 in a posted field but that is all I have found this year. I am hoping not to have a repeat of last season where I shot some on opening day and didn't shoot another goose the rest of Sept. Is it just me or is anyone else having a hard time locating birds?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Re: Scouting...

Postby JustinNH » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:34 am

I was watching a group all summer and now they have not been seen in a month...
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby HeritageHunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:39 am

I have not seen much in the fields either. Got permission at a few new spots, but the farmers said they would not likely cut the corn until the end of September.

I found one spot where it was cut already and no activity in the field.

I have seen a large flock of birds hanging out at a local parking lot. (Not a joke). I am guessing over 50 birds so they are in the area. With the weather we had recently my guess is they bunkered down and should start moving soon.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:48 am

My office park is loaded with them. :mad:

I don't know how you guys do it. I don't see geese anywhere except in the park. Do you guys that live in places without office parks see them in fields this early normally? With all the corn still up, what would they be doing there? I don't know anything about hunting geese.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:58 am

I would love to know why they are hitting the parking lot as hard as they are. My only guess is they are attracted to the salt or minerals on the ground, similiar to deer and turkeys along the roads.

Hunting them is hit or miss. They will hit a field pretty much until they wipe it out and then move on. This early we are hunting resident birds and they can be tough because the stick around residential areas, golf courses, business parks and pulling them away from those areas is tough.

I also hunt cut hay fields with mixed success. Get in early and try to catch them first thing.

HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:06 pm

I want to try the median on 495. It's loaded with them!
capt1972
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:37 pm

I am on birds. Have a couple fields with 60-100 birds. Think outside the box this time of year., pastures and hay fields are your best bet. I have an unharvested hay field that must be 2-3 foot high and the geese are in there everyday. Just lucky if you can see their heads above the grass. Still working on the decoy spread... Need to find some 3 foot poles for the full bodies... :yes:
Seriously though, Change your scouting tactics a little and you can find the birds. The birds in the parking lot are probably not watering or roosting there. It may be, that your best bet is a water set at noon time. Good luck to all and have a safe season.
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:31 am

Badfish thanks for the advice...Try plow stacks from the grain store...Cheap and can be cut to size.

I actually saw two different flocks this morning on my way into work and one was in a pasture and the other in a cut hayfield. Neither are huntable since they are too close to houses but I have a decent idea where they are watering so I will give the noon set-up a try.

HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting