Contacts

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Contacts

Postby JustinNH » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:35 pm

I just got contacts for this hunting season. My old prescription glasses were getting a little weak, but my main reason to go to the eye doctor was to try contacts and to avoid the fogging up or rain/snow getting on them and to open up my field of view AND NO SMUDGES!

So my question is, is there anything I should keep in mind while using them this fall/winter? Does the extreme cold irritate them at all or anything else to be careful of?

Figured I would see if anyone here is in the same boat. Sometimes it is dangerous to ask an honest question on the honey hole :hammer:

Thanks,
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: Contacts

Postby kwacker » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Justin let me know if they work for you asap, if you don't mind. I have the same problem especially during the second season when it is a little colder & I have just spent 1/2 hr setting up & my body temp is high. It takes 20 mins. for them to stop fogging up. Would really like to find a solution.
Good luck with the contacts.
kwacker
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:06 pm

I made the switch 2 seasons ago and love them. Peripharel vision is much better. Also I finally could add sunglasses to my equipment list.

1. I found dusk vision was a little tough for the first few weeks. Don't know why just took some getting used to.

2. Always carry Visine for contacts. Yes there is special drops for contacts so make sure you buy the right one. I tried them all and Visine was the cheapest and worked fine. First few months your eyes will get dry especially in windy days and the drops are key.

3. If you bow hunt practice with the in. Changed my anchor point a little but nothing major.

4. If you travel bring your glasses. They do tear, you loss them, eyes get tired if wearing them and you will want a back-up.

5. Carry sunglasses. Since wearing contacts my eyes are more sensitive to sun light. I wear sunglasses all the time unless it is night or very overcast.

Good luck!!!
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:33 pm

kwacker wrote:Justin let me know if they work for you asap, if you don't mind. I have the same problem especially during the second season when it is a little colder & I have just spent 1/2 hr setting up & my body temp is high. It takes 20 mins. for them to stop fogging up. Would really like to find a solution.
Good luck with the contacts.

Will do! I can already tell that I think I am going to like them. Smallgame hunting can be a pain when the fog starts to happen... I know exactly how you feel!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:37 pm

HeritageHunter wrote:I made the switch 2 seasons ago and love them. Peripharel vision is much better. Also I finally could add sunglasses to my equipment list.

1. I found dusk vision was a little tough for the first few weeks. Don't know why just took some getting used to.

2. Always carry Visine for contacts. Yes there is special drops for contacts so make sure you buy the right one. I tried them all and Visine was the cheapest and worked fine. First few months your eyes will get dry especially in windy days and the drops are key.

3. If you bow hunt practice with the in. Changed my anchor point a little but nothing major.

4. If you travel bring your glasses. They do tear, you loss them, eyes get tired if wearing them and you will want a back-up.

5. Carry sunglasses. Since wearing contacts my eyes are more sensitive to sun light. I wear sunglasses all the time unless it is night or very overcast.

Good luck!!!

Thanks HH!

I'll keep the eye drops in mind. Thanks,

I'm getting a new pair of prescription glasses as well, so I plan on keeping my old pair in my truck just in case I forget to bring the new pair as a 'just in case'. That is a good point.

I have been wearing sunglasses even with my glasses. I know I may not have looked very cool, but it was worth it. I absolutely love how sunglasses fit me without having them over regular glasses. Just that alone makes contacts worth it.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby 9JAYDUB » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:35 am

Justin,

I've had contacts for a while now and the biggest bit of advice I can give you while hunting is always carry your old glasses and your contacts case with fresh cleaning solution in it. I don't know how many times I've been hiking/camping/hunting and you get a little bit of dirt in your eye and irritates the lens. Having the solution with you, you can clean it on the spot.

Josh
9JAYDUB
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 am

Thank you Josh.

I was using trial pairs of one day lenses. I liked them so much that I wanted to wear them more often so she switched me to Oasis, which can last up to a month and gave me some of the cleaning solution and containers you mentioned.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby mojo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:47 am

agreed with all the above advice. I wore them for over 10 years. Bring the glasses, bring a back up pair, bring solution.

I wore toric lenses that stopped oxygen from getting my eyes. I had to wait an hour in the morning to put them in and my eyes absolutely killed me if I wore them more than 10-12 hours. That made the early wake up calls even harder and me clawing at my eyes in the evenings to get them out.

Best advice I can give ya is to save up and go under the laser. I got it done a year and half ago and it's the best money I've ever spent. 20/15 vision, no more worries about glasses/contacts/prescriptions/eye doc appts. etc. etc. etc.
mojo
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:29 am

mojo wrote:
Best advice I can give ya is to save up and go under the laser. I got it done a year and half ago and it's the best money I've ever spent. 20/15 vision, no more worries about glasses/contacts/prescriptions/eye doc appts. etc. etc. etc.

I asked about that and was recommended to wait until my eyes got worse or later in life, as my vision is not bad enough for her to recommend it yet. But I am more than likely going to do it eventually.

My vision is getting worse, but very slowly. I have had glasses for 10 years and this is only my third prescription change and can still get through the day without my glasses if needed and reading signs or detail is not necessary :wink:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby chefletch » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:33 am

totally agree with all comments. been hunting for 15 years and 14 of them with contacts. so i really don't know any difference.

juts don't rub your eyes if you are tired, good chance of having your contacts move, get folded under your eye lids, etc. def bring solution and back up lense.
If it Flies, It dies.... if it's brown knock it down
chefletch
hunter

Postby domik60 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:02 pm

be careful with no eye protection.. got stuck in the eye by a stick last year.. left a hole in my contact and scratched my cornia... good idea to wear some eye protection...
domik60
Newb

Postby JustinNH » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:43 am

Thank you chefletch and domik60 as well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting