Duck Hunting Forum banner

Another youth day post

802 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  HeritageHunter 
#1 ·
With this weekend being youth weekend, An old friend asked if I would take his son out for a youth waterfowl hunt. I was glad to oblige

We set out at O dark thirty and was set up well before legal. It was nice to sit back again with the dawn approaching hearing the woodies whistling around us, beavers slapping tails and just the general noise of silence...

Not long after legal I hear a quack, give a quick call back and a bird is dropping in on the decoys. Colin drops the bird with one shot. Colin just finished up his hunter safety and has been shooting trap at least once a week with his dad. The practice paid off.

Now my stress begins. After the last several months of training, this is Ice's first opportunity for a retrieve. He had watched the bird fall, held steady until given his command. He had a straight mark to the bird, stopped to check out a decoy for just a second and went right to the bird, picked it up and brought it back to hand (just like he is supposed to do). A beautiful Black Duck. Not bad for a first for both Colin and Ice.

I dont know who was happier, Colin for shooting his first duck, Colin's dad, Ice or I. The rest of the morning was slow, with just a few woodies and mallards working the area but not committing.

Great morning to be out, Cant wait for regular season now.

See less See more
#3 ·
There isn't a better feeling than that of watching a kid take a bird or your dog making that first retrieve.
Congrats to all of you for putting in the effort to make this happen.
Good luck Colin with the rest of your season & try to let dad get in a shot or two once in a while.
Great job Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.