Small Game

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

Small Game

Postby JustinNH » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:26 am

Anyone going out October 1st for small game (Grouse, Pheasant, hare, etc)?

I love duck hunting, but grouse are what originally got me into hunting. Pheasant... well they just taste good.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: Small Game

Postby poor_duck » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 am

yes my brother and I going up north for the weekend for some woodcock ,grouse and pheasant. And we'll be back on Tuesday to :hammer: some ducks :wink:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Good luck poor duck!

I forgot woodcock opens earlier this year. In my 5 or 6 years of grouse hunting, Ive only seen one... and I missed.
I would like to get one some day, looks like an interesting bird.

we'll be up in Pittsburg and I know people hunt them up there, so hopefully I see one this year. Most of my grouse spots are not in woodcock areas, but I have a few places in mind that may hold them. I'll be happy with a grouse or two though :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby mojo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:43 am

Pup is still too young to hunt over this season so I don't plan on making any special trips. Even duck hunting is going to be hard to come by as I'm still in full on puppy mode and want to get a good foundation laid before winter sets in.

My neighbor offered to take me up to his land near Lancaster some time this season and hunt over his setter but we'll see. Hopefully it pans out.

Next year I'm hoping the dog will be a terror on grouse though....
mojo
hunter

Postby capt1972 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:59 pm

going sat. to see if I can't get me a couple of them fine tasting pheasant!
capt1972
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Good luck to everyone who is going out. I think it’s gone be busy cuz the weekend. Hopefully my i_kam capture some good footage :smile:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:10 am

poor_duck wrote:Good luck to everyone who is going out. I think it’s gone be busy cuz the weekend. Hopefully my i_kam capture some good footage :smile:

That about sums it up. Good luck to everyone, hopefully the showers keep some people home, and hopefully the showers hold off so I can get some I-Kam shots or I make a hood and hat work....

Mojo, good luck if you make it out and if not, at least you have next year to look forward to with your dog.

Adam, Agreed, Can't wait for some bacon wrapped pheasant cooked it the cabin as soon as I get back. :beer:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting