war eagle v. crestliner

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

war eagle v. crestliner

Postby take'emgreenheads » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:52 pm

looking at 2 boats wondering what people thought seeing as i have no idea about different boats. one is an 18 ft. war eagle and the other is a 20 ft. crestliner. i am hoping to get a boat to do some sea duck with, maybe the isles of shoals once im comfortable and have somebody show me the ropes. let me know what you think.
take'emgreenheads
hunter

Re: war eagle v. crestliner

Postby rjbadfish » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Both War Eagle and Crestliner make different models. Most Crestliners have a deeper V. ASssuming this is the case, the Crestliner would be a better choice for the big pond.
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby take'emgreenheads » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Neither are deep v they both are flat
bottoms would those be no good for sea duck
take'emgreenheads
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Just my opinion but I would not go out seaduckin' in a flat bottom jon boat style boat. Not enough freeboard and the ocean dont take no prisoners. Even if you pick a good day, conditions can change in a minute and a flat bottom is just not designed for that type of water.
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby capt1972 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:10 am

rjbadfish wrote:Just my opinion but I would not go out seaduckin' in a flat bottom jon boat style boat. Not enough freeboard and the ocean dont take no prisoners. Even if you pick a good day, conditions can change in a minute and a flat bottom is just not designed for that type of water.

X2 Take it from someone that worked on the water for 25 years.
capt1972
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:57 am

X3........a minimum of semi-v....preferably V....you need the ability to go through the chop and swells....also, a broad beam can give you alot more control / stability.....lastly, you must have a reliable and powerful motor - do not under-gun your boat on the Atlantic!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlah » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:06 am

I hunt out of a 1860 mod john boat, Seaducking around the NH & ME coast is not a problem. You will give up Ride quality but gain it back. in how stable it is at rest. As far as the shoals this time of the year? I would take my 21' fiberglass CC. John Starky has been guiding out of his Mod John for 8 yrs or more. Everyone here knows( or should) when to go and when to leave the boat on the trailer. Having owned both types of boats, I find the + out way the - of owning the Mod John for our area.
waterfowlah
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Greetings from the south. I have a 17ft Crestliner with a semi-v hull. I stand behind my boat in pretty much any weather on our bays down here. I even wrecked into a duck blind flipping the boat 180 and snapped the piling in half. Broke my neck in the process (now have a steel plate in the neck) and still run her like nothing ever happened. The dealer I bought my boat from told me he sold six of them because of my accident.

War Eagle makes a nice boat too, but I am not familar with them enough to say one over the other. Another boat you should conside is the Sea-Ark. My buddy has a 20 foot Sea-Ark and we take that thing out to the deepwater blinds in 30mph winds with 3 foot seas. It is a tank. Look into it.

PLEASE SEND US SOME DUCKS NOW. You guys have had your fun with them long enough. We have nothing down here.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Falling Skies » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Having lived my life on boats and around the water and owning many different kinds of fishing boats, I to was in the market for a hunting boat and recently purchased my first one. My Brother in law has a 21' Sea Ark and it is definitely a solid boat. As I looked at what was in the market I quickly noticed some distinct differences in design and construction. I quickly determined that I would only buy a fully welded boat for this purpose. I ended up purchasing a 18' Duckwater ( www.duckwaterboats.com )
and could not be happier. These boats are built in Ohio and are solid as a rock. Just got the boat in December and have had it in the lake, river, hampton marsh and the atlantic already and it is very stable. Have hunted with both 3 and 4 men in it with plenty of room and comfort. Take a look I think you will like what you see. Good luck!
Falling Skies
Newb

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am

I've got a Crestliner Sportsman 16' deep V hull. I love it, very stable and very well built. It's not big enough for a trip to the isles though.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting