coots day

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

coots day

Postby poor_duck » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Well I don't know where they come from
Attachments
177.jpg
poor_duck
hunter

Re: coots day

Postby CrowToes » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:26 pm

You eat Coots? I have fun shooting them but I always de-breast them and dehydrate them and give them to my dog for treats.
To a Deer every man looks like a stump, To a Turkey every stump looks like a man.
CrowToes
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:05 am

Holy crap. :hammer:

Have been fishing all my life and hunting for 4 years and I finally saw my first coot this year. Bunch of them in a place you cant hunt.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Hevi-D » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:10 am

JustinNH wrote: Bunch of them in a place you cant hunt.

Which is exactly why poorduck is the only one killing 'em. :lol3: :lol:
Hevi-D
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:54 am

Hevi-D wrote:
JustinNH wrote: Bunch of them in a place you cant hunt.

Which is exactly why poorduck is the only one killing 'em. :lol3: :lol:

HAHA YOU SO FUNNY :huh:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:49 pm

I have seen more coots this year than ever before. I even let my son shoot one for a retrieve for the pup. Not really sure how they migrate...I think they must walk from lake to lake. You never see them in flight....I hear that the gizzards taste pretty good if prepared properly.

Nice shoot Dani
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:55 pm

rjbadfish wrote:I have seen more coots this year than ever before. I even let my son shoot one for a retrieve for the pup. Not really sure how they migrate...I think they must walk from lake to lake. You never see them in flight....I hear that the gizzards taste pretty good if prepared properly.

Nice shoot Dani

yes this year is different I see alot they were at the bay less ducks more coots . They fly about 40 yard each time and come back lol
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:02 pm

rjbadfish wrote:I have seen more coots this year than ever before. I even let my son shoot one for a retrieve for the pup. Not really sure how they migrate...I think they must walk from lake to lake. You never see them in flight....I hear that the gizzards taste pretty good if prepared properly.

Nice shoot Dani

Apparently from what I have read, along with some other types (grebes maybe?) they fly at night.

probably so no other type of waterfowl laughs at them flying. :wink:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:28 pm

I shot one once with the same idea- cook it up for the dog. She wouldn't even retrieve the damn thing. :lol3:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby capt1972 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:03 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:I shot one once with the same idea- cook it up for the dog. She wouldn't even retrieve the damn thing. :lol3:

You need to talk to the Indas in the HH! they will hook you up with a sauce piquant recipe! :biggrin:
capt1972
hunter

Postby mojo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:55 am

Coots migrate at night. They raft up during the day and loaf around. When I lived in Ohio they were all over the marshes in huge flocks. Usually the only way you could shoot them was to go to them and push them up as they don't fly and rarely swim into the dekes.

I have shot a few and eaten them. Honestly they don't taste that bad...certainly better than divers and salty black ducks. The breast meat on them is pitifully small though compared to their body size....about the size of a teal breast.
mojo
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:44 am

Nice work...I always wondered if we actually got any of those in NH. I was under the belief that they were like Snow Geese...Huge daily limit with no birds.

Glad you are still posting here by the way.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby take'emgreenheads » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:45 pm

Oh good haven't seen much jealousy on the sight lately nice to see you back hevi d you even have something bad to say when someone is getting more coot than you, good to see it
's not just ducks
take'emgreenheads
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:38 pm

HeritageHunter wrote:Nice work...I always wondered if we actually got any of those in NH. I was under the belief that they were like Snow Geese...Huge daily limit with no birds.

Glad you are still posting here by the way.

We get snows in NH. You just got to move around a bit for them.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Shark Bait » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:12 am

take'emgreenheads wrote:Oh good haven't seen much jealousy on the sight lately nice to see you back hevi d you even have something bad to say when someone is getting more coot than you, good to see it
's not just ducks

Maybe you should take some of your own advice, do you remember posting this.

Re: Is it just me... a rant
by take'emgreenheads » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:07 pm

i think that this entire country is getting to sensitive, it is getting rediculous. people complain about every little stupid thing. i think that everyone needs to stop caring about being politically correct, and stop bothering everybody about how they talk. you dont need to be friends!

Not sure why anyone would be jealous of shooting coot, might as well go shoot skeet or highway pigeons.
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby take'emgreenheads » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:20 pm

There is a difference in being politically correct and slanderous keeping in mind that hunting waterfowl in illegal places is a federal offence while retarded is often used as a figure of speech that some people may seem as wrong but there is no consequences to using the word
take'emgreenheads
hunter

Postby Hevi-D » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:44 pm

take'emgreenheads wrote:There is a difference in being politically correct and slanderous keeping in mind that hunting waterfowl in illegal places is a federal offence while retarded is often used as a figure of speech that some people may seem as wrong but there is no consequences to using the word

Here's to hoping you find a sense of humor in 2012! :lol:

Jealous of poorduck? Ummmm......not in this lifetime or any other. I'm sure you're a good guy in person, just way too serious on a duck forum.
Hevi-D
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Easy there boys...Lets keep it civilized...

Hope everyone is having a great New Years. Just got back from a coastal trip. Have to shower and go to a party and pretend that I care... :yes:
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Hevi-D wrote:
take'emgreenheads wrote:There is a difference in being politically correct and slanderous keeping in mind that hunting waterfowl in illegal places is a federal offence while retarded is often used as a figure of speech that some people may seem as wrong but there is no consequences to using the word

Here's to hoping you find a sense of humor in 2012! :lol:

Jealous of poorduck? Ummmm......not in this lifetime or any other. I'm sure you're a good guy in person, just way too serious on a duck forum.

FYI I am Lebanese, I was born hunting, I sleep, eat and breathe it, I spend most of my extra time scouting. Need hunting advice? feel free to contact me. But don't be hating because Im good at what I do. P.s. Notice how I didn't give your hunting spot away?? It's called respect. Try it sometime. Happy new year
poor_duck
hunter

Postby Shark Bait » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:58 pm

poor_duck wrote:FYI I am Lebanese, I was born hunting, I sleep, eat and breathe it, I spend most of my extra time scouting. Need hunting advice? feel free to contact me. But don't be hating because Im good at what I do. P.s. Notice how I didn't give your hunting spot away?? It's called respect. Try it sometime. Happy new year

Not exactly sure how your nationality has any bearing on hunting ability. But I have seen where you hunt, especially the time you drove a powerline in the midst of a tight neighborhood in Bedford on a deer hunt or more accurately someones backyard pet. From what I have been told your duck hunting spots are fairly similar. I appreciate the offer, you can keep any advice you may have, you are not the kind of hunter I am interested in learning from.
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:11 am

Shark Bait wrote:
poor_duck wrote:FYI I am Lebanese, I was born hunting, I sleep, eat and breathe it, I spend most of my extra time scouting. Need hunting advice? feel free to contact me. But don't be hating because Im good at what I do. P.s. Notice how I didn't give your hunting spot away?? It's called respect. Try it sometime. Happy new year

Not exactly sure how your nationality has any bearing on hunting ability. But I have seen where you hunt, especially the time you drove a powerline in the midst of a tight neighborhood in Bedford on a deer hunt or more accurately someones backyard pet. From what I have been told your duck hunting spots are fairly similar. I appreciate the offer, you can keep any advice you may have, you are not the kind of hunter I am interested in learning from.

That is the funniest thing ever. You said I was hunting someone's pet and you where hunting the same area so we both were hunting the same "pets", It was turkey season not deer for your information unless you were hunting deer? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Growing up in Lebanon, we had Very basic hunting equipment and I was lucky to have one shell to hunt with. This taught me scouting and skill. Let's talk about another issue you have with me (of course none of this is jealousy haha). Your postings about my pups where ridiculous. If i where jealous of you maybe I would have something negative to say about your pups...but I am not! What's your issue with my hunting spots? they're legal. Jealous that you didn't find them? Again every time I post a duck a deer or coot your the only one who has negative things to say. I'm a good hunter.You are a jealous person Who likes to talk . If you spend your time scouting more than talking you'll be successful. I have no issues with you except that you have this need to come after me. I"m done defending myself. :beer:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby Hevi-D » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:02 am

It was me you bumped into on the power lines....NO ONE has ever driven a vehicle back there besides you....that's why it's blocked by boulders now. Unless you are EXACTLY in the center of the power lines you are inside 300' to someone's living room. I hunt turkey there a few times a year when I have a limited amount of time to be out......but to drive there from another town is not something I would ever do. I bet you scouted it....did you watch TV in anyone's living room because you can see them clearly through the windows.....and if you recall, I HAD MY BOW......were you bowhunting there?

Just let it go.....we all know you're the best hunter ever, even if it is in my or someone else's backyard. Shoot the turkeys in your own neighborhood.
Hevi-D
hunter

Postby Shark Bait » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:10 am

PD,

Actually I was driving home and said to myself *** when I saw this truck bouncing down the power line that they have now posted thanks to your efforts, I live in the neighborhood so I stopped. Your license plate is a dead give away and you are the type of person that gives all hunters a bad reputation by hunting in peoples back yards as there are houses lining both sides of the power line. It is also my opinion that you give all dog breeders the same poor reputation by breeding a dog that has no performance evaluations, no veterinary certificates, no OFA examination of the dogs hips, no Eye certification. You want to attack my dog because she does have a UKC Hunting title and has had her Hips Exrayed and her Eyes cleared then be my guest.

I never attacked you for posting a hero shot of your coot, if you are proud of that then thumbs up... :thumbsup: I don't happen to be into posting hero shots.

I did take exception with what someone else posted here and I also took exception with your smug attitude that for some reason you think we envy your day of shooting coot when in reality most guys I hunt and talk with think quite the opposite. :beer:
Shark Bait
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:34 am

Hevi-D wrote:It was me you bumped into on the power lines....NO ONE has ever driven a vehicle back there besides you....that's why it's blocked by boulders now. Unless you are EXACTLY in the center of the power lines you are inside 300' to someone's living room. I hunt turkey there a few times a year when I have a limited amount of time to be out......but to drive there from another town is not something I would ever do. I bet you scouted it....did you watch TV in anyone's living room because you can see them clearly through the windows.....and if you recall, I HAD MY BOW......were you bowhunting there?

Just let it go.....we all know you're the best hunter ever, even if it is in my or someone else's backyard. Shoot the turkeys in your own neighborhood.

Discharge Restrictions/Compact Areas
(RSA 207: 3-a & 644:13)

•It is illegal to discharge a firearm or shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or occupant, or from the owner of the land on which the person shooting the firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt is situated. A firearm may not be discharged within 300 feet of any commercial, educational or medical building, or outdoor public gathering place.

so to me its all the same bow or shotgun
poor_duck
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:43 am

Shark Bait,

sorry maybe you miss the last sentence: You are a jealous person Who likes to talk . If you spend your time scouting more than talking you'll be successful. :beer:
poor_duck
hunter

Next

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting