Off season projects

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Off season projects

Postby Benny8 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:18 pm

My season is over for 2011. Had a great year highlighted by youth hunting with my daughter, a great Thanksgiving week hunt with Kwacker, and topping it all off was an invite to the Badfish Duck camp. Didn't harvest as many birds as last year, but a great bunch of memories none the less. I have some off season projects planned. Anyone else have any projects planned? Here is some of mine: My brother gave me a 1964 Starcraft Aluminum V-hull last week.
I plan on removing the bow(completed), installing a split bench where the dashboard was(for structure to reduce "tacoing".) Putting a raised deck in the front. Installing rod and gun storage on both sides from the stern to benches. I will then camo it and build a conduit blind.
I will also be working on a diver spread. The plan is 2 dozen bluebill, 2 dozen ringneck, 1 dozen buffies, and 6 goldeneye. The stock for the heads are all glued up as I type. These will be foamers and fully flocked. Lets hear what everyones plans are for the4 offseason.
Benny8
hunter

Re: Off season projects

Postby kb9zgb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:27 pm

wow thats a kool old retro boat. id be stuck between a duck boat or a full on walleye boat if it were mine.
kb9zgb
hunter

Postby owlman33 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:53 pm

I got a ton of projects.
make a blind cover for my low profile marsh boat,
put some foam on the bottom of my full body goose decoy bag to prevent the tail end of the decoy from chipping
clean off decoys and check lines for damage
Have two or three blinds I want to build come spring so I need to figure out plans and materials
Make a list of new areas to scout, that's never over
Do more clay pigeon shooting, I missed a ton of birds this year
Put new shelving in my shed to hold all my decoys I seem to keep acquiring

I've already made my list of flies to tie this winter for fishing and I'll be working on that until spring.My girlfriend is starting to realize that its never over.
owlman33
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Worked on the boat the last couple days. Built up a raised deck in the front with foam board, the aluminum that came off the bow will cover this. Framed up the split benches with aluminum angle. Slow process but things are coming along nicely. Some pics of the raised deck(foam) with the slit benches.
Benny8
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Looking good :thumbsup:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby mojo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:51 am

train dog
train dog
train dog
build hybrid layout boat
train dog

2011 was really a wash for me. I think I spent 3 days total in the blind....just too much going on. I hope to get out this coming weekend at least. 2012 should be different. I see myself spending more time in the grouse woods than the duck marsh though.
mojo
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:12 am

Aaron, looks good. You will be done way before ice out at this point.

Mojo, I hear ya on Dog training. I would love to see some new pics of the whiskered guy in action.
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby 9JAYDUB » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:41 am

I'm with mojo... my offseason will be spent working on my shooting and training my first gun dog.
9JAYDUB
hunter

Postby mojo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:10 pm

shoot me a message if you ever want to get together for a training session. I'm going through all the obedience and force fetch this winter so hopefully next year will all focus on the fun stuff...i.e. birds.
mojo
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm

I hope to finish final the 6 eider decoys I started restle coating 6 years ago!

The reality though is between working and summer classes it's not likely going to happen. I will get them done someday.
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby Cub » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Hey if you get back down in this area I have some aluminum angel you are welcome to. I think its 1/2"".I am just going to junk it. If you can use it it's yours.
Hours of preparation for seconds of exhilaration
Cub
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 am

Completely missed this thread before...

My #1 offseason project is to work on training Jazz more. After her surgery last summer, training had to stop. Took her out once and she did ok with 3 retrieves, and a few decoy retrieved as well. :oops:

I need to re-rig all my buffies and some geese too.

And of course, use some of my new birds to practice more taxidermy. :beer:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Benny8 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:54 am

Cub wrote:Hey if you get back down in this area I have some aluminum angel you are welcome to. I think its 1/2"".I am just going to junk it. If you can use it it's yours.

Cub-Thanks, appreciate the offer, but I don't think I will be back down there anytime soon. Sorry I didn't see this post until just recently.
Benny8
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting