Rollinsford & S. Berwick FD rescue cripped Greenhead

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Rollinsford & S. Berwick FD rescue cripped Greenhead

Postby nhshotgunner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Looks like somebody cripped a greenhead over on the Salmon Falls river and it got trapped in the ice. I guess it makes a feel good story and some FD personnel feel heroic. What's the point of risking someones life on an ice rescue to save a duck, during hunting season no less. No mention of any involvement by USFWS agents or Maine Wildlife and Inland or Fisheries or NH F&G. Seems to me federal law prohibits the possession of a live duck or goose but I am sure the law will be overlooked for such good samaritans. We are not getting smarter as a society :fingerhead:

Rollinsford, South Berwick fire crews rescue duck from frozen Salmon Falls River
Thursday, January 5, 2012

Rescued duck gets attention from unidentified person.
(Courtesy photo - Rollinsford Fire Department)

ROLLINSFORD, N.H. (AP) — Firefighters have rescued a duck that was frozen to the ice in a New Hampshire river.

They said some people out walking their dog in Rollinsford saw a mallard frozen to the ice on the Salmon Falls River. They called the fire department.

WMUR-TV reports http://bit.ly/AsOfTJ crews from Rollinsford and South Berwick, Maine, came out with a boat and a man with a cold watersuit to free the duck. It took about 40 minutes.

They said the ice was so thick they had to break it around the duck. A big ice cube was stuck to its wing.

The duck was recovering at a nearby veterinary office.
nhshotgunner
hunter

Re: Rollinsford & S. Berwick FD rescue cripped Greenhead

Postby capt1972 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:20 pm

:no: :no: :no:
capt1972
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Thats cruel, snap its neck already, why make it suffer.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby striper » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:19 pm

As a duck hunter, resident of South Berwick, and 25 year old veteran of SBFD (retired) let me offer a slightly different perspective.

I know exactly where the duck was found. There is really very minimal danger in what the folks did to recover the duck. There are
lots of houses and people around that, right or not, expect someone to do something for the duck. Even to snap its neck as was suggested, somebody would have to go get it. Better a trained firefighter in a cold water rescue suit than some well meaning kid.

As a hunter, I think the feel good nature of the story may have helped prevent someone from asking what happened to the duck in the first place. It amazes me that at no point in the various forms of news coverage did anyone assume that the duck had been
wounded by a hunter. We got off easy.
striper
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting