Interesting Species/Firsts for the past season?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Interesting Species/Firsts for the past season?

Postby JustinNH » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:19 pm

I know the forums is slow this time of the year, but hopefully some people are still here...

Just wondering if anyone had any interesting species encountered last season while out hunting.

--Saw some coot for the first time in all my years of fishing and hunting. No hunting spot through.
--Managed some drake common mergs. Laugh it up, but all I see are hens/juvis.
--Jazz's first retrieve (immature drake woody) is also on my 'to taxi' list.

Anyone else? Spoonies, BW Teal, Scaup, Widgeon, pintails, etc??
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: Interesting Species/Firsts for the past season?

Postby rjbadfish » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Although this season was slower than most, I saw and shot many more widgeon and gadwall than in previous years. I also saw enough Pintails to make it worth putting out pintail decoys.

Divers were slower for me this season, we did harvest bluebills and Ringnecks along with buffies, goldeneyes and hoodies but not in the numbers we typically see.

I also saw a lot of coot this season, in places that they normally dont frequent.

I had a bunch of "first timers" out hunting this year which was very rewarding and although I did not pull the trigger that often, I was able to get Ice nearly 200 retrieves this season. It would have been higher if I could get him to hang out in the Hound Hide for more than a couple minutes at a time... :fingerhead:
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:07 pm

Justin Great post!!!

Not many first's for me this year. Duck/Goose hunting was really slow. Did find one spot in some fields that produced pretty good ducks and got my first duck out of the pop-up blind. :thumbsup:

The coolest thing I saw this year was a large male bobcat stalked to within 5yds of my turkey decoy during the spring season. Never saw a bobcat before this year but got a great show by a real beautiful cat.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:25 am

Wow Ray, I bet if you made a list of all the species you have taken, there would only be a few gaps to fill!

HH, I imagine that was a nice sight! Bobcat numbers are on the rise. There is a way to report sightings of them.
http://mlitvaitis.unh.edu/Research/Bobc ... htings.htm

I think there are a lot more of them than people think. Only seen one in person, but hear of them a lot from other trappers and hunters and even co-workers (everyone tells me when they see a cool animal, even if it was roadkill haha).
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:46 am

I saw my first bobcat LAST year... so I guess that doesn't count. Funny, I spend more time then just about anyone in the woods, and I had never seen one before. I saw a lynx about 15 years ago that I thought was a bobcat until I was schooled on the difference.

Firsts for me this year was the male blackxmallard hybrid that I really really thought was some sort of widgeon hybrid. I guess my first widgeon will have to wait another year.

And my sons first duck, and first pheasant. Nothing like taking new hunters out, especially when its your kid. My son got the bug big time. I still have a tree stand set up out back he hangs out in, and he is still bringing decoys out to the river hoping for a late migrator to fly over. Now I just got to get him his own call so he stops stealing mine. :lol3:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:31 am

I reported the sighting the week after I saw the cat to I believe a group out of UNH doing a study. So hopefuly it helps within a restoration project or soemthing along those lines.

Justin I agree that there are more out there then we realize. They are just so stealth. This cat put on a stalk in a wide open field that had a few dips and low spots and it was amazing watching him work the lay of the land to get close.

NHDuckhunter congrats on getting your son his first duck and pheasant!!!! I cannot wait to get my little guy out in the woods, but since he will only be two in July I have some waiting to do. :mad:
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby rjbadfish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:43 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:I saw my first bobcat LAST year... so I guess that doesn't count. Funny, I spend more time then just about anyone in the woods, and I had never seen one before. I saw a lynx about 15 years ago that I thought was a bobcat until I was schooled on the difference.

Firsts for me this year was the male blackxmallard hybrid that I really really thought was some sort of widgeon hybrid. I guess my first widgeon will have to wait another year.

And my sons first duck, and first pheasant. Nothing like taking new hunters out, especially when its your kid. My son got the bug big time. I still have a tree stand set up out back he hangs out in, and he is still bringing decoys out to the river hoping for a late migrator to fly over. Now I just got to get him his own call so he stops stealing mine. :lol3:

NHDuckHunter- Congrats to your son. That is awesome. Send me a PM with your address. I think I have something your son will like :thumbsup:
Ray Jackson

rjbadfish
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:58 pm

[quote="JustinNH"]Wow Ray, I bet if you made a list of all the species you have taken, there would only be a few gaps to fill!

Still have a quite a few to fill the list of common waterfowl in North America. After I hit the lottery, I will spend some time on the West Coast to close the list a little further.

King Eider
Harliquin
Cinnamon Teal
Canvasback
Tree Ducks (2)
Swan
Redhead (group shot one last year but didn't take credit for it)
Eurasian Widgeon ( saw 2 this year, one over the decoys :fingerhead: )
Ray Jackson

rjbadfish
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:20 am

rjbadfish wrote:
King Eider
Harliquin
Cinnamon Teal
Canvasback
Tree Ducks (2)
Swan
Redhead (group shot one last year but didn't take credit for it)
Eurasian Widgeon ( saw 2 this year, one over the decoys :fingerhead: )

That is wicked impressive!
Are there any places that harliquin are legal? I am guessing if its on your list there are.

Pm is on its way, thanks Ray :thumbsup:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:38 am

Thats a pretty small list when you think about it! Impressive

Yes, Harlis are legal in WA (1 per year I think) and AK (not sure, but it is a lot more than 1 per day)
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting