Upper Valley

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Upper Valley

Postby okieinnewengland » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 am

I am relatively new to the Upper Valley and to water-fowling. I would like to pick you all's brains about potential places to scout for next season. I have plans to scout **edited my mod** (the east portion is on the WMA) and ***edited by mod** pond. Any thoughts? Also, I have never done any goose hunting. Where would be a good opportunity to get into new england goose hunting? Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Last edited by JustinNH on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed locations
okieinnewengland
hunter

Re: Upper Valley

Postby JustinNH » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:37 pm

:welcome: to the forum!

Talking about specific spots is a general "no-no" here. We have a great group of people who visit and communicate often, but there are also hundreds who just view. Naming a spot is a sure way to have others visiting you OR bringing in new people to someone else's honey hole. We just had this happen a few months ago with a spot.

I edited your post to help you and anyone who potentially hunts those spots.

Best way to see if a spot is good is to check it and check it often. All times of the day and all times of the year (although spring can be misleading... many places have birds (especially noticed with geese, at least for me) int he spring and none in the summer/fall as they all moved on.

The best way to find out is to scout. Scout in the summer, scout right before the season, always scout. Google earth is your friend.
There are lots of places to duck hunt here, but sometimes finding a spot with a limit every time can take a lot of work.

I am more into ducks than geese (due to spots), so I am not much help there... but I was lucky to get a few last season, some with help of fellow members, and some myself. Fields are big for geese, so I would start looking at fields, especially those close to water.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby okieinnewengland » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Sorry about the lapse in etiquette. I'll abide by it in the future. Thanks for letting me know.
okieinnewengland
hunter

Postby sasusbp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Thats the idea of scouting, get out there this summer and find those ducks and learn their ways and habits. Just because my holes work one way or at certain times does not mean yours will work the same. It buggs me when others say you can only shoot ducks during the first light fly and then the ducks are done for the day. Like the ducks go home and lock themselves away till the next morning. They are ducks, they go somewhere, it is your job to find out where and at what times so you can blast them. watch for birds and pay attention to where you see them gathering and hanging out, note the time and weather conditions and see if you find a pattern. I break my areas into three times of the day, Morning , noon, late day spots. I have two or three spots for each time of day. once you have found some honey holes set a make shift blind of sorts during mid summer. the ducks will continue to visit your hole and not think anything is up when you improve your blind or set up a real one just before hunting season. The best places to scout are the areas that other have not tryed or just not hunting. Don't listen to other hunters if they tell you can not hunt certain areas because they are off limits, check them out for yourself talk with land owners and ask your FGO. some of my best spots I have been told you can not hunt because FG says it is off limits. with just one call My local FGO said yes , and that no one had every asked him and he knew of nobody else hunting the area. Now my best spot of which I do not speak.

Good luck
hope this helps
sasusbp
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:42 am

Good post sasusbp, I agree about the time of day thing. I used to have a spot about 1 mile from a very popular lakes region spot. It was the best spot I have ever hunted in NH. Sleep in, stop for a coffee on the way, loaf around the truck putting on my waders, get out there and be set up by 8... the ducks would start pouring in at 8:30. I had another guy try to squeeze me in that spot, he hunted it twice, each time leaving with no ducks. I ran in to him one day and he asked me why I kept hunting it, he went in twice and never saw a duck. He was seeing my truck there and trying to beat me in, so he was getting there at 4 in the morning. :lol3:

I don't know much about the upper valley, but you have lots of water up there. Thats a good start. Welcome to the forum :welcome:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby okieinnewengland » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:33 am

Already getting good info. Thanks, keep it coming. I need it. What does FGO stand for?
okieinnewengland
hunter

Postby tgs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 am

Fish and Game Officer...ie Game Warden. Biologist also have good info.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting