Anyone have a bird being mounted?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Anyone have a bird being mounted?

Postby JustinNH » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 am

Just wondering if anyone has a bird off at the taxidermist from this past or even two seasons ago?

Anyone ever mount their own?

Just placed an order for a few bird forms and a skunk form for myself. Plan on a WW Scoter, Old Squaw, Mallard, Wood duck (Jazz's first duck), drake common merg, one of the skunks I trapped as well as a musk rat. I'll be busy!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: Anyone have a bird being mounted?

Postby rjbadfish » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:54 pm

I have two birds at the taxidermist right now.

The first is a black duck that was both a first duck for the youth shooter and a first retrieve for Ice. When it is done it is being given to the young gun.

My second is a nice fully plumed Widgeon which has a place already earmarked on the wall next to a widgeon print I received from my co-workers on my retirement. I need to shoot a nice hen next year to complete the "widgeon" wall....

Good luck with your mounts Justin!!! I am sure they will come out very nice.
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks Ray :thumbsup:

Hope yours come out nicely. I have a black duck from two seasons ago that I skinned out and froze in water. Should last 10+ years that way. I don't get many, even with hunting in the coastal zone, and this one looked real good.

Speaking of which:
The freezing in water is a Good fact for anyone to know if they plan to get into taxidermy but can't get around to one for a while. Wouldn't recommend it if you want to bring it somewhere as I am sure the taxidermist would rather do that himself.

If going that route, wrap wet paper towels around the bill and feet to cut down on freezer burn, freeze in two freezer bags with no air. Do not keep for a long period of time in a frost free freezer as it promotes freezer burn. Should keep longer this way. :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby mojo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 pm

I've never had a bird mounted....I've shot quite a few that I seriously debated (scoters, buffies, gadwall, mallard, eider) but ultimately cleaned them up. The only one I really regret not doing was an absolute monster redlegged drake black I dropped stone cold dead on an impossible (i.e. lucky) over the shoulder hail mary during my first season in NH....I've shot a lot of blacks since then but don't think I'll ever shoot one as nice that that drake :hammer: .

This upcoming season will be my first hunting over my dog so I plan on keeping a few birds if I get any real lookers....

Eventually I'd love to do a trip down in TX or out west to get some birds in full on plumage...
mojo
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:52 pm

mojo wrote:
This upcoming season will be my first hunting over my dog so I plan on keeping a few birds if I get any real lookers....

All 3 drake woodies my dog retrieved last season were immature and full of pin feathers. I still had to save the first one because it means a lot to me. Good luck to you next year, hopefully your dog's first retrieve is a mature banded drake, right? :wink: :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:40 am

JustinNH wrote:
mojo wrote:

All 3 drake woodies my dog retrieved last season were immature and full of pin feathers. I still had to save the first one because it means a lot to me. Good luck to you next year, hopefully your dog's first retrieve is a mature banded drake, right? :wink: :thumbsup:

My dogs first retrieve was a still very much alive TINY hen mallard. She swam in to a bush, the dog went in after her, and the duck beat the crap out of her. I never thought she'd go for another bird. :sad: Boy was I clueless when I first started training her.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:My dogs first retrieve was a still very much alive TINY hen mallard. She swam in to a bush, the dog went in after her, and the duck beat the crap out of her. I never thought she'd go for another bird. :sad: Boy was I clueless when I first started training her.

Two seasons ago my dog was only 3.5 months old. I got a goose and a two wood ducks opening day and figured I would let her smell them and maybe fetch the wood duck for a bit. She saw the dead goose on my deck, smelled it, and started to shake. :no: Eventually I got her excited to see them, but it took a good 30 min!

She has come a long way now and knows the three places I place the birds when I get home. When I come homeempty handed she checks all three and whines if there is nothing for her! Can't wait to start working her again this spring.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rjbadfish » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:25 pm

JustinNH wrote:
NHDuckHunter wrote:My dogs first retrieve was a still very much alive TINY hen mallard. She swam in to a bush, the dog went in after her, and the duck beat the crap out of her. I never thought she'd go for another bird. :sad: Boy was I clueless when I first started training her.

Two seasons ago my dog was only 3.5 months old. I got a goose and a two wood ducks opening day and figured I would let her smell them and maybe fetch the wood duck for a bit. She saw the dead goose on my deck, smelled it, and started to shake. :no: Eventually I got her excited to see them, but it took a good 30 min!

She has come a long way now and knows the three places I place the birds when I get home. When I come homeempty handed she checks all three and whines if there is nothing for her! Can't wait to start working her again this spring.

Wait for spring? We have not had winter yet. Give me a call and we can go work the dogs. I have a real nice field, set up for training. I have been working Ice out of his hound hide to get him ready for early season goose and always like to have others around.
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 am

well, i guess that is true Ray! No snow piles in the yard, which is nice compared to the 6' high ones last year.
Will do, thanks :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby mojo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:58 am

hopefully your dog's first retrieve is a mature banded drake, right?

That's all I shoot....wouldn't shoulder the gun on anything less.. :biggrin:
mojo
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting