Great Bay Hunting

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Great Bay Hunting

Postby Me and Black Betty » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 am

Hey guys just got an email from the NRA, thought I would pass it along to you guys in case you didn't get it.

"NEW HAMPSHIRE: Management Plan for Great Bay National Wildlife Refuge Addresses Hunting
A draft plan for the Great Bay National Wildlife Refuge has been released for public comment until March 12. The 1100-acre Refuge is located in Newington and covers a portion of the former Pease Air Force Base. Currently the Refuge offers a two-day deer hunt each fall. The Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to expand hunting opportunities under Alternative B, its preferred management approach, to include turkey hunting and a bow season for deer. Alternative C would further expand general public use. When the plan is made final it will guide management of the refuge for the next fifteen years. It is important that hunters participate during the comment period by submitting comments in support of keeping the refuge open to hunting and encouraging the Service to expand hunting opportunities. Comments can be submitted online at www.northeastplanning@fws.gov. You can view the document at www.fws.gov/northeast/planning/Great%20bay/ccphome.html. For further information you may contact Refuge Manager Graham Taylor at fw5rw_prnwr@fws.gov."
Whoa, Black Betty BAM-BA-LAM
Me and Black Betty
hunter

Re: Great Bay Hunting

Postby capt1972 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:49 pm

That is awesome news! Let us just hope it happens!
capt1972
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Why not open it for ducks too?

Has anyone else here even done the deer hunt there? One of the worst hunting experiences of my life. You couldn't pay me to do that again. :no:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:53 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:Why not open it for ducks too?

Has anyone else here even done the deer hunt there? One of the worst hunting experiences of my life. You couldn't pay me to do that again. :no:

I have not, so I have to ask... why do you say that?

Is it a mess like some pheasant spots opening day? (I use the term 'mess' because the profanity filters would block the true words).
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlah » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:13 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:Why not open it for ducks too?

Im with you, I hunted there this year. I was the first guy in the gate. made My way to my tree. Climbed to 30' (for safety)
At day brake it sounded like world war three. If their gun held 5 shots they used all 5 at a running deer. I could of shot four different Does but wanted a buck. One Guy walked within 5 yds of My tree and started unloading on a tiny doe that was 20 yds in front of me. When I checked out the F&G officer said two guy's left to buy more ammo :mad: I plead My case that they should allow Archery, Muzzeloader and PLUGGED shotguns. I also recommended that each Hunter should be drawn for a specific zone and not be allowed to move about. I am very suprised that no one gets hurt during the annual hunt out there. One last thing I was the last Guy out for the day. there was no way I was going to be on the ground and moving during daylite hours.
waterfowlah
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:01 pm

wow... :no:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:07 am

JustinNH wrote:
I have not, so I have to ask... why do you say that?

Is it a mess like some pheasant spots opening day? (I use the term 'mess' because the profanity filters would block the true words).

Yup, like what was written above. Just totally mismanaged. Too many people, too short amount of time, and everyone is just looking to put something brown on the ground.
The year I did it, I had a 5 pointer about 5 feet behind my stand just waiting for him to come out in front of me when all of a sudden, bang bang bang bang bang. A guy had climbed up a tree about 40 yards behind me that I have never even noticed. There were guys everywhere, deer running like crazy. The only decent deer I saw that was shot, a guy came dragging it by me toward the lot. I was just about at the edge of legal range and I never heard him shoot. I can almost guarantee that guy used the hunt to walk through the area, and in to the residential neighborhood outside the fence, or back to the airport side. :rolleyes: No way he was in the legal area.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Sounds like hunting at the Quabbin in Mass. Did it once and had my fill.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting