Got a band!

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

Got a band!

Postby JustinNH » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:16 am

Well no, didn't shoot it and am still waiting for my actual first... After Mojo finding one and my wife's aunt having a similar story I have been keeping eyes out while hunting.

While walking to a crow spot this morning (a little late so the sun was already showing) I saw something hollow and metallic on the ground but with a blue outside. My friend had a sick one on his deck for a day so I knew what it was as soon as I picked it up. No other sign of the bird, so it must have been there for a while...

I Just looked it up and it is a homing pigeon band registered to a club in NY in 2010. Unfortunately, no pigeons or crows were taken today. Did have about 10 ticks though :no: :no:
Attachments
band.jpg
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: Got a band!

Postby poor_duck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 pm

if every 10 ticks I got a band by know I will have over 1000 this season :yes: I seriously think this year the ticks never left or disappear the only days I did not have a tick on me is when we got some snow which is only 3 days any way good job justin Hopefully your next one be a drake pintail band :wink:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Yeah, with this mild winter I have a feeling we will have a really bad year for ticks!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby poor_duck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:36 pm

mild winter good for deer bad for ducks and the ticks are very happy don’t forget the mosquito when turkey season arrive it’s gonna be fun season
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:09 am

Heard from someone about the band:

Hello Justin!
This homing pigeon band was issued to ... of Schenectady, he is also a member of the Schenectady Homing Pigeon Club and I will call him tonight to inform him of your report. We always appreciate hearing such reports. I is unusual for Schenectady birds to end up in your area because our race course is generally West or Southwest from here, but over the years I had a few cases were my very young baby birds got mixed in with Boston race birds flying over the Albany - Schenectady area and did end up near Boston or Maine. Thanks for the report. Tal
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting