Grouse and Woodcock

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Grouse and Woodcock

Postby mawtrfowler » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Anybody hunt grouse and woodcock in the Littleton NH/ White Mountains area? My my friends in-laws have some land up there that we plan on checking out and possibly going up a few times in the fall.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Re: Grouse and Woodcock

Postby JustinNH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:41 am

Never got a woodcock, but it is high on my wish list.

Grouse hunting is what got me started in hunting and I always go up for them opening day and at least one other time. Not sure about this year due to when the dates fall and EOM activities at work but I will make it up at least once.

I usually go farther up north than the area you are looking for but I have seen them everywhere (even in Manchester, which was a nice surprise).

All are personal observations...
-Grouse need to eat pebbles for their crop to crush seeds, so they are often found near trails picking up rocks early in the morning.
-Find their food sources and you will find them. If its a nice source, there will probably be a few in the area not just one. They eat a big variety of seeds/berries.
-My top spot for grouse is actually a very wet area, so do not dismiss an area if it is a little swampy in some spots.
-They also need rocks/stumps to sit on and drum early in the year. From what I see, they do not go far come the fall.
-If the weather is crappy, they may be in the trees, which can be disappointing as for me, the flush of the grouse is the absolute best part, even if I miss.
-Logging is good for grouse. Areas logged in the not so distant past that have started to come back often have the kinds of bushes/trees that provide grouse cover and food.

Hope that helps you find some grouse! :beer:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:37 am

I used to hunt that area quite a bit back when I had Beagles for rabbits. I have hunted p'tridge and woodcock up there as well.
Check out Trudeau Rd just south of the town of Carroll right off Rte 3. There are a couple of good logging roads to walk. You may have to share with the rabbit & bear hunters. Check out the woods along Rte 2 in the Jefferson/Lancaster area as well. Farther south along Rte 112/118 by Elbow pond or off exit 28 towards Waterville Valley. Watch out for tree huggers and mountain bikers in this area.
I usually walk logging roads or the edge of cut offs. Don't forget your White Mtns "use permit". I have gotten reminders left on my vehicle by park rangers.
Good luck

I was out on my bike last weekend and came across Momma grouse shooing her young across the road. The chicks were tiny. No I won't tell you where I was :fingerpt:
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 am

My family owns a hunting camp in Jefferson. There are tons of partidge and woodcock in that area. We do not go after them often but have on occassion done some jump shooting and had a lot of success.

My understanding is woodcock prefer swampy areas and grouse old cuts and looging roads so getting both in the same are might be tricky.

Good luck!!!!

P.S. What is the White Mtn use permit?
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:33 am

P.S. What is the White Mtn use permit?

About 10 years ago, the feds came up with a "user permit" for the white mountain national forest. It's cheap money but if you park in a national forest parking lot, you're supposed to have a permit. As I said, I haven't hunted up that way in a few years. I suppose there's a chance they did away with it.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:55 am

I did a quick google search and it is still in use.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby kwacker » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 am

I've done a lot of upland hunting in the Clarksville, West Sterwartstown area. If you have the urge to go a little futher north try the Deadwater steam area or most anywhere along the creampoke rd, or west rd. Target the wild raspberry patches and some of the old farms that are in those ares and I think that you will find some nice shooting. Bring your GPS or compass if you plan on hunting the Deadwater stream area as it is easy to get turned around out there.
Good luck
kwacker
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting