NHF&G News: Early Migratory Game Bird Seasons Set

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderator: JustinNH

NHF&G News: Early Migratory Game Bird Seasons Set

Postby JustinNH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:25 pm

From F&G Email:


CONCORD, N.H. -- The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department has finalized the 2012 hunting season dates and bag limits for early season migratory game birds, with few changes from last year. The 2012 seasons for these game birds are as follows:

RESIDENT CANADA GEESE: The bag limit is five birds per day, statewide, during the September season, which extends from the day after Labor Day (September 4) through September 25, 2012.

YOUTH WATERFOWL WEEKEND: This year, the youth weekend falls on Saturday and Sunday, September 29 and 30, 2012. All regular season waterfowl regulations, including bag limits, shooting hours, use of non-toxic shot, etc., apply during the youth weekend. (For more on youth hunting in N.H., visit http://www.huntnh.com/Hunting/youth_hunting.htm.)

WOODCOCK: October 1 – November 14, 2012. Bag limit is 3 birds per day.

SNIPE: September 15 – November 14, 2012. Bag limit is 8 birds per day.

SEA DUCKS: October 1, 2012 – January 15, 2013. Bag limit is 7 birds per day, with no more than 4 scoters, 4 eiders or 4 long-tailed ducks (oldsquaw).

CROWS: The fall crow-hunting season runs from August 15 to November 30, 2012; next spring’s two-week crow season will be March 16-31, 2013.

Hunters of all migratory game birds must have a 2012 New Hampshire hunting license and are required by federal law to register for the National Migratory Bird Harvest Information Program (HIP). In New Hampshire, this includes all who hunt ducks, geese, snipe, woodcock and coots. Separate HIP permits are needed in each state. Licensed hunters should call 1-800-207-6183, or go to the “Buy Your License Online” section of the Fish and Game website http://www.huntnh.com, to receive a permit number (there is no charge). This number should be written on the hunting license. Harvest information from HIP helps Fish and Game and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service make more reliable estimates of the number of all migratory birds harvested. Each year, a random selection of hunters is asked to complete a voluntary harvest survey.

Waterfowl hunters must also obtain a federal duck stamp and a New Hampshire Migratory Waterfowl hunting license.

Hunters are asked to report all banded birds by calling toll-free to 1-800-327-BAND. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service will send a certificate with information about the bird.

For more information on waterfowl or other New Hampshire hunting seasons, or to buy licenses and permits online, visit http://www.huntnh.com/Hunting/hunting.htm.
User avatar
State Moderator
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:23 pm

Remove Advertisements


Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest