Who is Going Crow Hunting

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

Who is Going Crow Hunting

Postby JustinNH » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Anyone going out for crows? Season opens soon.

I hope to get out a few times to prepare for ducks. Hopefully it cools down a bit :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MMwr01W9rE
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: Who is Going Crow Hunting

Postby kwacker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm going out for a couple of hrs before work. Hope to get a few for the dog even though he hates picking them up.
kwacker
hunter

Postby rickbr » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:18 am

Same thing here. I'll be going out early in the a.m. Have to work at noon. Need to find a few fields to slam a couple.
Could use the feathers for fly tying.
rickbr
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:15 am

kwacker wrote:I'm going out for a couple of hrs before work. Hope to get a few for the dog even though he hates picking them up.

Yeah, that is probably my game plan too. Jazz doesn't mind picking them up but I can tell she would go for a duck first if she could.

rickbr wrote:Same thing here. I'll be going out early in the a.m. Have to work at noon. Need to find a few fields to slam a couple.
Could use the feathers for fly tying.

Nice, what patterns do you use the crow feathers for? I save duck feathers--all flank, CDC and certain long white ones for black ghosts but hadn't though of a use for crow...
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rickbr » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Honestly hadn't really thought about it yet. Just figured they would come in handy. lol Figured I would boil up the meat for the dogs. Don't want them going to waist but I really can't see me eating them.

Speaking of feathers, I'd love to get a few pheasant this year but it's really difficult without a dog. I tried checking out a spot last year just for the hell of it. It was really good exercise. :lol3:
rickbr
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:27 am

Ah, I see. Be sure to let us know if you find a good use :thumbsup:

I am kinda screwed this year with the small game opener on a Monday, but in years past I would say 3/5 times I would limit before people with dogs in the spots we hit early opening morning while waiting for the grouse to wake up. it is a nice practice run for grouse after waiting a year and of course, the meat is pretty good.

But if you hunt after the birds have been pushed around or if they ended up far into the woods... a dog is 100% needed.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rickbr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 am

I don't know man. you're looking kind of weary. You might just be sick that Monday. ;)

What do you think are the odds of someone letting me tag along with them
if I just show up Monday morning with my shotgun and pheasant stamp? :sniper:

I live pretty close to a stocking sight that seems to get a good turnout on opening morning.
rickbr
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:42 am

rickbr wrote:I don't know man. you're looking kind of weary. You might just be sick that Monday. ;)

What do you think are the odds of someone letting me tag along with them
if I just show up Monday morning with my shotgun and pheasant stamp? :sniper:

I live pretty close to a stocking sight that seems to get a good turnout on opening morning.

haha would be nice, but it is business day 1 of the close of the books, so even being sick is no excuse.

I wouldn't count on it, but it may happen. My friend went by himself one day in the afternoon and someone with a dog invited him to tag along... so it does happen.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting