Moving to NH - any tips?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Moving to NH - any tips?

Postby Docholliday » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Hello,
I'm moving to NH next month and I'm wondering if you guys know any tips, tricks, must-do's in regards to waterfowling. This can include - Duck Clubs, Hunting East Coast waterfowl tips, must haves, must do / experience, anything else. I started with DHC to network and gain some knowledge but I also set up a hunt in MD because I do run a Chessie and having him in the Bay will be a fun experience.
I am moving from MN but I also annually hunt waterfowl in ND, SD, So. Illinois and Missouri (avg 100 days in the blind) so this will be new to hunting on the ocean, new species, etc.

Thanks
Dave
Docholliday
hunter

Re: Moving to NH - any tips?

Postby Benny8 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 am

Scout, scout, scout and scout some more. Must haves=gas and google earth. Patience because NH isn't the duck capital of the world.
Benny8
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:17 am

Benny8 wrote:Scout, scout, scout and scout some more. Must haves=gas and google earth. Patience because NH isn't the duck capital of the world.

Facts on all accounts.

Welcome to NH (soon) :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rickbr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Moving to NH - any tips?

Don't eat the yellow snow!

Welcome to the forum :welcome:
rickbr
hunter

Postby Docholliday » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:59 pm

rickbr wrote:
Moving to NH - any tips?

Don't eat the yellow snow!

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

I'm from MN - I know that one already! Thought I'd get the "Don't swim with sharks!" -laughing-
Docholliday
hunter

Postby tgs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:40 am

Docholliday wrote:Hello,
so this will be new to hunting on the ocean, new species, etc.

Thanks
Dave

Welcome...

What do you have for a boat?
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby Docholliday » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:02 am

[/quote]

Welcome...

What do you have for a boat?[/quote]

I run a 15ft Alumacraft waterfowler with a tunnel hull and short shaft 25hp yam - avery blind. I also have a 12 ft jon with a 6hp mudmotor. I am looking at a Duck water boat or equivalent to add to the fleet for big open water hunting. I posted the q in another forum - but any suggestions on big water boats? Bankes - Duck water boat, etc?
Docholliday
hunter

Postby tgs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 am

Certainly Duckwater and Bankes are good choices for duck boats. I had a 20' Alaskan for about 6 years, liked the versitility of that over the forementioned. Also Polar Kraft makes a nice 20' bay boat, they have an all welded hull I believe. I'm currently running an 18' Bailey Bridge Boat with a hardsided blind on it. If you're handy with tools and such and can find an older 21' Starcraft , that too would be an option. Your Alumacraft will get you most places, most days. My suggestion would be to go to your prospective hunting areas at low tide so that you can see what you're dealing with. The tide swing will be roughly 6-12' depending on where your are and that happens every 6 hours, so it can be a long wait if you get hung on a mud flat.

Here's a link for the marine forecast of the area, click your zone and the info should come up.

http://www.maineharbors.com/weather/marhome.htm
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby waterfowlah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:21 am

Where in NH are you moving? What part of MN are you from? My family is from MN
waterfowlah
hunter

Postby Docholliday » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:32 pm

tgs wrote:Certainly Duckwater and Bankes are good choices for duck boats. I had a 20' Alaskan for about 6 years, liked the versitility of that over the forementioned. Also Polar Kraft makes a nice 20' bay boat, they have an all welded hull I believe. I'm currently running an 18' Bailey Bridge Boat with a hardsided blind on it. If you're handy with tools and such and can find an older 21' Starcraft , that too would be an option. Your Alumacraft will get you most places, most days. My suggestion would be to go to your prospective hunting areas at low tide so that you can see what you're dealing with. The tide swing will be roughly 6-12' depending on where your are and that happens every 6 hours, so it can be a long wait if you get hung on a mud flat.

Here's a link for the marine forecast of the area, click your zone and the info should come up.

http://www.maineharbors.com/weather/marhome.htm

Thanks for the info! Tide is just one of the new things I need to deal with. How about rust prevention on your shotgun? - was just thinking about that the other day.
Docholliday
hunter

Postby Docholliday » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:35 pm

waterfowlah wrote:Where in NH are you moving? What part of MN are you from? My family is from MN

I'm moving to tha Nashua area. My job territory is all of Boston, up to Portsmouth and then east to about Lowell. I'm from Minneapolis, born n raised.
Docholliday
hunter

Postby tgs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Going to try this product I think. http://www.froglube.com/roothome.htm

I've always had coated guns but cold weather makes this actoins get slow on autoladers.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby Docholliday » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:34 pm

tgs wrote:Going to try this product I think. http://www.froglube.com/roothome.htm

I've always had coated guns but cold weather makes this actoins get slow on autoladers.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1261 ... ventatives
I found this as well since I was doing some research. Frog Lube: I just saw the guy from Bay Dogs throw that up on Facebook, so that got me researching. Right now, I have a three part plan to strip, coat and maintain after every use probably with the product designed by Boeing for rust prevention. That link compared a couple popular methods.
Docholliday
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:56 am

Another thing I do if my gun lays on the salt marsh grass, or gets splashed, etc from salt water... is to carry rem-oil wipes in your blind bag and give it a quick wipe down at the end of the hunt before it goes in its case for the ride home and the full cleaning. :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:01 am

Docholliday wrote:
waterfowlah wrote:Where in NH are you moving? What part of MN are you from? My family is from MN

I'm moving to tha Nashua area. My job territory is all of Boston, up to Portsmouth and then east to about Lowell. I'm from Minneapolis, born n raised.

Its a long trip going East from Portsmouth until you hit Lowell.

I recommend buying a map. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

If you are going to be living around Nashua, I would recommend focusing on inland areas before thinking about the ocean. The coast is a bit of a drive from Nashua, and there are plenty of great waterfowling spots closer to home. I live a lot closer to the coast then I do Nashua, and still find myself driving west more often then east to hunt. Good luck and welcome.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby killnkyle » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:45 pm

It's not true for everywhere but get used to having a house or two around. A lot of water bodies and great hunting spots are unavailable because of waterfront property :mad: . I hunt around Nashua quite a bit let me know when you get into town and if you want we can go do some scouting.

Oh and don't forget to Live Free or Die!
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
Ernest Hemingway
killnkyle
hunter

Postby Docholliday » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks guys for all the good info! Some I'm sure will be the same as in MN - waking up the hippies at 5:30am bc I'm in the field behind their green house - geese sailing onto the neighboring golf course as a foursome tees off and my dog flys across the 3rd green in hot pursuit of a cripple - someone fishing through my decoys : but all in all, I'm sure it will be a fun new adventure. AND - to my dismay...I'm actually moving to Lowell, MA now since Nashua fell through. Might keep my MN license plates as long as I can bc I found myself already call them "Massholes" when I was there.
Dave
Docholliday
hunter

Postby deertoducks » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:30 am

I sent you a PM, havnt heard back from you, I'd be happy to show you some access spots along the MA, NH border. Send me a PM if your intereted.
deertoducks
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:54 am

Docholliday wrote: geese sailing onto the neighboring golf course as a foursome tees off and my dog flys across the 3rd green in hot pursuit of a cripple - someone fishing through my decoys : b

I can imagine that was quite the site for them to see haha

Yeah, early season I have run into people fishing right through where I am. Also kyaking and rowing in some locations.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting