Slow start but potential

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Slow start but potential

Postby rickbr » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 am

Went and picked up an owl and a couple crow dekes yesterday. Found a large farm with lots of ducks and geese. Got permission
to hunt. She said there are a couple of other guys that hunt geese there but it wouldn't be a problem. WooHOO!!!!
Looks like a really good spot for yotes also.
Figured I would do a little scouting before I left. Found a likely spot set up the dekes. Tried using an old cel that I downloaded some crow calls onto and also a mouth call. Going to need to get an external powered speaker. It's not quite loud enough. Got one to come over me but was only able to get one shot off before he was to far out. Missed.. go figure. lol 2 minutes later a truck comes driving through the field. Great, now what? they drove around for a bit then parked. I figured they were looking for me. So I packed up and headed back to the truck. They met me back at the truck and asked
if I had gotten anything. I said "No. I packed up figuring you were coming to throw me out." He says no I just heard the shot so thought I would investigate. Turns out I was on the farm next to the ladies that I got permission. I asked if it was ok if I hunted and he said sure I don't care. I told him he will be hearing shots early this morning. lol

Got there a little late @ 6am or so. Sun was already climbing and the fog was burning off. Started walking through the field with my stuff and bust up half a dozen first off. Tried to get a shot off but swing and a miss. as I'm setting up the owl I'm getting dive bombed by a couple. All set up, get the call going. Nothing comes by for about a half hour. Finally one comes by barely close enough, Strike one,two and three. Then nothing again. Moved two more times, tried with and without the e-call. Had one more come over my head unfortunately stayed in the canopy, no shot. Stayed for another hour and packed up for work.

Crows 2 Rick 0

On the bright side I did see about 100 geese and a couple dozen ducks come through a few times. Come on September.
rickbr
hunter

Re: Slow start but potential

Postby JustinNH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Like you said, at least you got in some waterfowl scouting!

Still not a bad day, better than watching TV or working!

What kind/size shot are you using? Most of the time I use leftover steel from last year, but I do find that #5 or #6 lead works VERY well on crows... I just never have any.

I went out this AM with my dog. Only had 30 min and long story short, we didn't even hear one. She was good though. Sat by my side most of the time not moving, just looking up. I don't even care I didn't shoot anything, I just feel bad I didn't get one for her to fetch.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rickbr » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:09 pm

I have some left over Winchester expert #6 steel that I've been using but I may save them for pheasant and try something else.
Figure I'll give that farm a break tomorrow morning and try somewhere else. Not sure where yet. Glad to hear you got out with the dog. I'm sure she's chomping at the bit to get to work. Is it September 4th yet?
rickbr
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:31 pm

rickbr wrote:I have some left over Winchester expert #6 steel that I've been using but I may save them for pheasant and try something else.
Figure I'll give that farm a break tomorrow morning and try somewhere else. Not sure where yet. Glad to hear you got out with the dog. I'm sure she's chomping at the bit to get to work. Is it September 4th yet?

Personally, I have seen crows take hits like fat late season divers and keep on going. A few years ago I hit one with an almost directly overhead shot that I thought nailed him, only to see him keep flying like nothing happened. 10 seconds later, he fell like stone.
The steel 6's may be a bit small/light if the crows are any sort of distance. Of course, that's just my opinion. I only shot 25 crows last year and some people here get multiples of 25 a time, so I am far from being an expert.

Yeah, no kiddin... but I never really have luck in September with the resident geese... October can't get here soon enough!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby nhhonker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:51 pm

you have better luck with migrators than with resident geese? how many deekes are you running? I find it hard to land the migrators, easier to land the locals.
"Addicted to Quack"
nhhonker
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:20 am

nhhonker wrote:you have better luck with migrators than with resident geese? how many deekes are you running? I find it hard to land the migrators, easier to land the locals.

I am far more into duck hunting so I do not have a lot of goose decoys. We've burned many tanks of gas looking for residents with not very promising results, so I have never really been excited for early goose. It is more an extension of early crow season with a chance at a goose. Ive got a few spots (water and fields) and all of them are hit by many others.

Towards the end of last season, I was a bit better at goose calling and called in a few groups over water. All were migrators and we were set up for ducks with 6 goose floaters to the side. Probably turned 10 flocks over the last few weekends, two or three came right in, several were skyblasted by others at 80+ yards, and a few saw something (or heard something :lol3: ) they did not like and took off full speed.

Always fun though
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting