Homemade dog ramp/platform

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Homemade dog ramp/platform

Postby Benny8 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:43 pm

After my buddy went to Cabelas looking for a dog ramp/ladder, and talking with a couple different duck hunters there, we decided to make our own. We took a couple pieces of 3/4" EMT Conduit and bent it into a stretched out "s" shape. We made it to hook over the gunnels of the boat. I had a piece of 1/8" aluminum stock that we used for the step/ramp. I then took the supports off a old boat ladder and hooked them to act as a stabilizer. We then launched the boat, put the ladder in place, and I measure how far the bottom of the ladder was from the bottom of the river(assuming we are beached). We then took a piece of 1/2" EMT and bent it to act as a foot to keep from sinking into the mud. We then took a couple pieces of horse stall rubber and installed them on the step with the ribs going horizontal to allow the dogs some grab with their nails. The whole project cost us $6 out of pocket. We had a lot of the materials laying around from other projects. We estimated about $35 if you had to buy everything. Here is a picture of my pup on the platform resting on a ladder. The video is of her entering the boat with it on the trailer, so I think once it is in the water it will be a snap.
Benny8
hunter

Re: Homemade dog ramp/platform

Postby kwacker » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Can't wait to try that out tomorrow with Belle & Kirby. I think it will be a snap when the boat is in the water. :thumbsup: Maybe we won't look like we took a swim in the river with our clothes on this time when the dogs get back in the boat. :lol3:
kwacker
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:43 pm

That's a good idea, thanks for sharing!

How's that boat looking?
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Benny8 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Here you go Justin-here's some updated pics.
Benny8
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:54 pm

That looks fantastic. Nice work on it, you may end up inspiring many others with end results like that.

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby poor_duck » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Very nice I like it a lot you do good job no matter what :clapping:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks Justin and Dani :thumbsup: It was a lot of work, but fun and very rewarding. Lots of good help from my bro and Kwacker.
Benny8
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting