NH WMAs

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

NH WMAs

Postby molsen316 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:55 am

In my never ending search for new spots, I came accross the Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) listed on NHFG website. I have seen them on the website before but have only been hunting at one of the WMAs (only because of convenience- it was about 5 minutes from where I lived at the time). Are the various marshes listed as WMAs worth checking out, scouting and hunting? Are they usually hunted pretty hard? Just trying to get a feel if I should check some out or keep looking for other new spots. Thanks.

Mark
molsen316
hunter

Re: NH WMAs

Postby usmc2220 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Hey Mark,

My fiancee lived in NH before moving to Maine when we got a house. I don't think anyone is going to tell you it is or isn't worth checking out (for obvious reasons i.e. if it was awesome and no one hunted, would you tell anyone?).

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that waterfowling is one of those communities that folks tend to have tighter lips about than fishing spots... and believe me you could ask me after I just cause a boat load of 5 lb + bass and I'd tell you it's been slow and ain't had as much as a nible all day long if you asked me "how's the fishing" from the bank and didn't see me catching fish.

Don't get discouraged though and a spots always worth scouting, hunting depends. Check'em out a few times during each season and make note (is it a morning/evening spot, early/late season, water/rain levels that year etc).

Good luck
usmc2220
hunter

Postby molsen316 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Not sure you understood so ill make it easier... Not trying to get a response of "try WMA xyz" or "WMA abc sucks". Just wondering if NHFG makes them out to be more than they are.
molsen316
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Best way top find out is scout.

I hunt public conservation land for deer almost exclusively. Deer are there but I also scout year round and keep records of what I find to better my chances

Ducks are the same way. I would look at the smaller WMA's and one's that are off the beaten path. Harder areas to hunt equal less pressure.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:33 am

I'll be honest. I made a list of every WMA within 90 minutes of where I lived, marked them on a gazeteer and spent the next few years stopping at least once at each of them different times through the year. I have yet to find one that I thought was worth hunting. There is one in Exeter or Brentwood that NHFand G specifically mentions how many waterfowl are around. NH Audobon has posted signs and built trails through it. I've been there 20 times and seen 2 ducks and probably 5 hunters. :lol3:
There certainly are some good ones for hunting ducks, but I think the F and G write-ups are way overblown.
There's one in my town that I go to probably once a week to run the dog, F and G lists partridge as being there. I'm more apt to believe there is a mountain lion living there then partridge.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby molsen316 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks NHDuckHunter. I figured F and G would try to make them sound better than they really are. I'll plan to keep them in mind this season if I feel like getting out to a new spot.
molsen316
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting