AAAAGGG damn crows

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

AAAAGGG damn crows

Postby rickbr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:21 pm

So I've been out a few times for crows in the last week. The one spot that I had gone to once that I thought had alot of potential
has been letting their cows out to roam everywhere all week. So, out of respect I've been staying away. Found another spot the other morning. Got all set up with the owl and a couple of dekes, started the call had a couple come in that I know were close enough to hit. Which I am almost positive I hit one of them. I swear he just looked back and chuckled at me as he flew away. After that I couldn't get them to budge. On the way out of that spot I see a sign that I missed on the way in. "No shooting police take notice" oh well so much for that spot. Went to an Orchard this morning that they just cut all the corn down. Only heard one or two all morning. All of a sudden here comes this big flock right into us. Sweet, get ready, they circle us twice and land right in front of us. Great, I called in about 200 damn pidgeons. lol :grooving: So that how my crow season has gone so far.

Anyone having any luck?

Oh yeah using different shells now also. I won't have a problem knocking down the next one. :beer:
rickbr
hunter

Re: AAAAGGG damn crows

Postby JustinNH » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Been out for a total of 3 hours... No crows at all. Two spots that have produced the last few fall and spring seasons have been quiet.

Did scratch out two pigeons. FYI....They taste like a mix of hare and pheasant. Was actually pretty good. But then again, I am known to eat mergansers.

Also figure that was one of the hunts I didn't go with my dog. :mad:

Wish I'd have seen a flock that big of them!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rickbr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:47 pm

We didn't even take a shot. Didn't think they were legal in NH. Tried looking it up and couldn't find anything on them.
rickbr
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:51 pm

My source link is for the old F&G website, but here is the text

Wildlife with No Closed Season: A hunting license is required to hunt coyote, porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, European starling, feral pigeon, and English sparrow.

I'll see if I can find an up to date source...
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:27 am

JustinNH wrote:My source link is for the old F&G website, but here is the text

Wildlife with No Closed Season: A hunting license is required to hunt coyote, porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, European starling, feral pigeon, and English sparrow.

I'll see if I can find an up to date source...

Are you sure you shot a feral pigeon?

Just another case of F and G making things more difficult then need be.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:34 am

Yeah, talked to a F&G officer a while ago at one of the Expos they have each year.

All pigeons not banded are good to go at any time. They, along with the starlings and sparrows, are big non-native pests and they welcome hunting of them.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rickbr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Talked to a guy the other morning after my crow hunt at the new farm I found. He said the same thing. You can hunt pigeon anytime. Also, got my first crow down. You'd be surprised what a #3bb can do at about 15yards. :lol3: the #6 steel just didn't seem to be doing the job for me. Dropped'em like a rock. That was only using a couple of crow dekes and an e-call. Pulled out the owl and set it on the ground with the dead crow at it's feet. Put the dekes in a tree and set off the owl/crow fight. As I was setting up a small flock came flying through and bagged me.
Never got anything to come back in close.

Saw about 200 geese. Found out that this farm is no secret though. When talking to this guy he was telling me that if I don't
get there by 2 am. forget about it. You'll never get a spot. Seems everyone and their brother hit this spot on opening day. After 4 or 5 days the geese all move on. Oh well guess it's time to formulate a plan b.
rickbr
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Congrats on the crows! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:38 am

Bumping an old thread but I found an up to date source on the 'no closed season' issue...

""Other Wildlife
There is no restriction in New Hampshire on the taking of woodchucks,
porcupines, English sparrows, European starlings, common
feral pigeons, red squirrels and other rodents not covered in this
publication. All other birds not specifically covered in this digest are
protected by New Hampshire or federal law, and may not be taken."

Page 36 of the new hunting/trapping digest.

Of course, no closed season on yotes either, but there are extra restrictions so they have their own topic in the digest.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting